Author Topic: Game Balancing Issues  (Read 9511 times)

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Game Balancing Issues
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 08:38:34 AM »
The idea of adding vulnerabilities and resistance to certain types of damage is good, but there is currently no such mechanic. I'll add this to the list of nice to have stuff: http://dweller.lighthouseapp.com/projects/88670-dweller/tickets/74-add-resistance-and-vulnerability-to-certain-types-of-damage

duke

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 10:11:04 PM »
It is just me, or does it seem like more and more monsters run away as you weaken them and you have to chase them down to kill them.  It seems like a strange phenomenon to me.  I could see the rats running, but any other monster running doesn't make sense, and seems rather annoying.  Mr. Admin, was this by design, that the monters would run once their HP got low? And what are the chances of removing this charateristic?  Thank you.  This is a great game by they way, and I have  greatly enjoyed the updates and your timely response to issues/concerns of your users.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 08:23:46 AM »
Yes, this is by design, although it might be a bad design decision :-) The only monsters that do not run away are the fearless ones, such as undead and the oozes. I guess I should add the fearless-flag to some more monsters (trolls and orcs seem like good choices). Goblins should run as I see them as a cowardly creatures. The AI should probably also be a bit smarter and not decide to run away if a lot of other monsters are nearby (strength by numbers). Ticket: http://dweller.lighthouseapp.com/projects/88670-dweller/tickets/75-tweak-monster-fleeing-code

GnPTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 07:47:28 PM »
Yes, this is by design, although it might be a bad design decision :-) The only monsters that do not run away are the fearless ones, such as undead and the oozes. I guess I should add the fearless-flag to some more monsters (trolls and orcs seem like good choices).
I can honestly say that I have never seen a troll flee. Usually it's me sneaking away or, even after I buffed up a stunning crossbow, they stand and try to heal themselves.
GnPTurtle is correct. I checked the datafile now and Trolls are indeed fearless. So is all undead, the Goblin King, Oozes and Cultists.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 11:53:29 PM by Dweller admin »
GnPTurtle

X

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 04:36:05 PM »
Traditionally trolls fear fire so... is there any incentive to burn them at the current time?? I tend to let a troll be a troll til he tries to be a troll to me.  I leave em alone. 
Also, since monsters spawn by stairs does that mean that hanging by stairs and killing stuff is better than going down til you get hurt and need to recall?  I usually try to go for higher exp monsters but im thinking maybe I can chill near a moderately difficult level's stairway and get the same effect with a bit more safety.

Currently there is no reason to use fire (or not to use fire) on a troll - it has no additional effects.

The easiest way to kill a troll (at least before the most recent patch that changed troll healing) was to shoot at him from range until he gets below a certain threshold of health, forcing him to heal every turn. Then you just keep attacking him at range, hoping your RNG is bigger than his heal's RNG... repeat and profit!

I have yet to try fighting a troll since the nerf, but I expect it made them much easier to kill when you are melee.

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 08:10:23 AM »
Well my most recent character and game have been going on for the last week and a half now so being 9 levels down I've been killing quite a few of these guys.  pretty much just comes down to making sure i have ample health and then blasting away with my book of flames... not that the flames do any extra damage thats just my main attack now.  I dont seem to ever have the problem of running out of magic or being unable to cast.  How exactly are the magic points generated?? at this point my character is heavily leveled.  676 exp points to next level so I'm feeling almost invincible... I've come close to death a couple of times but have always been able to warp out... anyways... I really took my time going up and down and killing as much stuff as possible to level up.  is there a suggested level for going for the win??

-30 mins after above message...
ok soooooo i just finished the game.  final character level was 23 score 13822...yay!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:48:57 AM by ZiZNaK »
When in doubt.  Scroll of Recall

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 02:52:09 AM »
I started a new game today and just kept playing for a good hour er so.  maybe a little less than an hour actually i was watching tv too.  i hate to say it but i think the mage needs a nerfin on his magic abilities.  the mage is way too strong with what seems like unlimited casting ability.  I've already made my way back to the hall of the goblin king and I'm just waiting to level up a few more times before i try to take him out.  I think some sort of magic point system needs to come into play.  I have rarely come back to the surface this game and have been able to go up and down between levels just healing my character when needed.  I think we need to force the mage to rest and regain spell points from time to time so that mage players cant just steamroll right through the game using a spellbook that we start with.   ;)

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 12:14:25 PM »
I will be working on spells and spellcasting for the next release. One thing that would be easy to add is different cast times for spells and in general increasing cast times:

http://forum.dwellergame.com/index.php?topic=22.msg99#msg99

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 02:44:18 AM »
nice! there definitely has to be some tweaking in regards to the difficulty for mages.  I'm on a a streak right now with 3 wins in a row.  Just updated to 1.16.7.   It's awesome to see so many updates going through in such quick succession.