Author Topic: Water Traps  (Read 4638 times)

The Wizard

• View Profile
Water Traps
« on: June 02, 2012, 04:33:19 PM »
Hi there, Dweller admin.. I have just thought of having water traps just like Eddies, or WhirlPools. lol, What do u think?

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Water Traps
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 10:26:56 PM »
I quite like the idea of water having more impact on gameplay. Right now the only thing with water is that pushable stones disappear when you drop them in water. Maybe items should disappear as well? (fighting Orcs standing on water would be a lot more careless than it is now).

What would actually happen when you step into a whirlpool? Damage? Something else?

monophonic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 11:45:40 AM »
What would actually happen when you step into a whirlpool? Damage? Something else?

Maybe you might pop up in a pool deeper in the dungeon, a bit like a wet trap door? Perhaps take some damage in the way, perhaps end up somewhere quite... different? A hidden side quest maybe? Most whirlpools just hurt you then throw you out at some monsters, but one takes you to the caves of the fish-men. Then you have to figure out how to get back. Of course you'll reach for your Scroll of Recall... but has it kept dry and legible going through the torrents?

Sewerdweller

• is always looking for Great Rogue Like Games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 02:48:05 PM »
i like the idea -maybe end up in a one room all water with stairs/ ladder that take you back to forest.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
Nice ideas guys. I've added the whirlpool trap to the todo list for now.

The Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 02:21:59 PM »
Whirpools are the Worst traps ever in dweller.. know why? You can not Disarm them unless the new version will release a new item ( which is somewhat magical e.g: Scroll of Seeping ) for it to be disarmed.

The Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 02:37:12 PM »
Whirlpools could also give "damage over time" damages because of the swirling..

Mateusz P-G

• Polish Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 10:45:29 PM »
Oh! Since we're at "water traps", why not make some regular water tiles "boobytrapped"
with piranhas, leeches, mysterious tentacles and alike? It would work like regular traps,
just impossible to disarm.
If you remember the sprites from my avatar, know that you're awesome!

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 03:03:25 PM »
Good ideas Mateusz!

FaustoMartense

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 10:36:12 PM »
Maybe water can be used to extinguish fire... for when you walk over lava an get on fire, or by a spell or enchanted weapon. I cant remember at this moment if you can get on fire (damage over time like poison) if you can, it would be nice to be able to run to the nearest water tile to extinguish it. Of course if there is not water nearby, the fire will dissapear over time, but if you are near you will lose the status On fire quicker.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 07:54:51 PM by FaustoMartense »

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 08:34:26 PM »
No, you are currently not able to get on fire, but it would be a nice addition to temporary effects (posion, slow)

The Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 04:40:59 PM »
Also Whirlpools (~because of the swirling) will teleport you to another place, fighting with water creatures. ( Heh,that would be though for "The Wizard" because the book spells in his inventory are for fire . Others for escaping / controlling purposes. Thus, giving the wizard less opportunity for offense. ;/ I'm worried.

Watley

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 04:19:47 AM »
Tentacles attack when adjacent to water tile.

The Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 05:45:14 AM »
Tentacles attack when adjacent to water tile.

Yes , I do also agree to what Watley said about tentacles.  Tentacles may attack you, but then what type of damage the player may receive,? a magical ones,? or a physical ones? Name it Co-Dweller Members. :)

Watley

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 08:41:52 AM »
You can never go wrong with tentacles! I think a variety of effects could be possible. HP or mana drain, item stealing or disarming, a stun effect or grapple, or potentially spawn some of those water monsters mentioned earlier or even a kraken?