Author Topic: 1.19.0 Feedback  (Read 6191 times)

monophonic

• View Profile
1.19.0 Feedback
« on: May 30, 2012, 01:42:06 PM »
Hi,

I got first impressions on 1.19.0 on my Vivaz (J2ME 360x640 full touch device) and heres what I noticed:
  • Tutorial host does not give any instructions/quests
  • When shooting the bow at a monster, the Ranger also moves one tile towards targeted monster
  • After moving there is much less dungeon visible below the player than above (1 tile vs. 4 tiles using large tiles)
First did not harm me since I already know how to play, but the second I found very annoying as it makes keeping distance while taking shots at an enemy impossible. Third appears to be because the player is placed at the center of the physical display without regard to the area covered by the UI buttons. It is made even worse because the player sprites top left corner appears to be at the exact center rather than the center of the player sprite.

Oh, I did notice a fourth thing too: The new walls are bloody excellent!

Sewerdweller

• is always looking for Great Rogue Like Games.
    • View Profile
Re: 1.19.0 Feedback
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 08:24:05 PM »
Love the new walls - but the pet/charmed/summond needs more direction - maybe a setting in main menu of some sort for attack closest, attack furthest, attack strongest, with an override in the quick slots for chase/attack directed enemy. 

Mateusz P-G

• Polish Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 11:22:47 PM »
J2ME version.

• No newbie quests are given before the player accepts "Rat Hunter".
  • Practice Wand is mispelled ("Practicewand"). It can also be sold for 200 gold, which is a lot for a free item.
  • Ranger's Dog is always selected first when cycling targets for ranged weapons, it's incredibly annoying.
  • When enemies die, there's a one-pixel wide, blue horizontal strip showing briefly at their feet.

I'll add more later, only had a few moments to spare for the new Dweller (shame, I know).
;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:24:18 PM by Mateusz P-G »
If you remember the sprites from my avatar, know that you're awesome!

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 12:11:52 AM »
Hi,

I got first impressions on 1.19.0 on my Vivaz (J2ME 360x640 full touch device) and heres what I noticed:
  • Tutorial host does not give any instructions/quests
  • When shooting the bow at a monster, the Ranger also moves one tile towards targeted monster
  • After moving there is much less dungeon visible below the player than above (1 tile vs. 4 tiles using large tiles)
Thank you for the bug report. I have also noticed the missing tutorial quests.

I am unable to reproduce the "when shooting you also move". Could you give me a bit more info? Are you playing in landscape or portrait mode? Do you have the virtual d-pad enabled? I assume you are tapping on the target under the cursor?

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 12:12:23 AM »
Love the new walls - but the pet/charmed/summond needs more direction - maybe a setting in main menu of some sort for attack closest, attack furthest, attack strongest, with an override in the quick slots for chase/attack directed enemy. 
Yes, there will be some kind of controls for pets/allies

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 12:14:55 AM »
J2ME version.

• No newbie quests are given before the player accepts "Rat Hunter".
  • Practice Wand is mispelled ("Practicewand"). It can also be sold for 200 gold, which is a lot for a free item.
  • Ranger's Dog is always selected first when cycling targets for ranged weapons, it's incredibly annoying.
  • When enemies die, there's a one-pixel wide, blue horizontal strip showing briefly at their feet.
Thank you! The next version will fix the graphics issue, the name of the wand and the target cycling. I hope to find the problem with the tutorial quests as well.

monophonic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 09:35:07 AM »
Thank you for the bug report. I have also noticed the missing tutorial quests.

I was able to accept the tutorial quests after having played a bit, like Mateus notes above. Additional issue I found is that I could not shoot arrows at an enemy who was standing on an undiscovered secret door. It was showing the sewer rat standing in a wall tile, I was able to dispatch it once it stepped into the room, and found the door once I moved next to it.

I am unable to reproduce the "when shooting you also move". Could you give me a bit more info? Are you playing in landscape or portrait mode? Do you have the virtual d-pad enabled? I assume you are tapping on the target under the cursor?

Still happens in 1.19.1, but I narrowed it down. Shooting by tapping on target under the cursor also moves you, just  like you assumed. Shooting by tapping the quiver on quickslot does not move you, regardless of whether targeting mode is active, or if it was entered deliberately or by tapping quiver on quickslot when no target was set. D-pad, pathfinder settings or landscape/portrait have no effect on it.

I'll shoot from the quickslots from now on then, except when chasing a retreating enemy since the shoot+move keeps me better on his tail.

Mateusz P-G

• Polish Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 09:19:51 PM »
Oddly enough, after restarting Dweller and creating a new game, Training Quests were given
normally (without accepting "Rat Hunter" first). I think it might be the issue of not uninstalling
Dweller (or keeping its old save) before installing new major version.

P.S. Its about 1.9.0, need to check out 1.9.1 soon.

Sewerdweller

• is always looking for Great Rogue Like Games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 02:41:04 PM »
without giving anything away - really like the new monster. :-*

Mateusz P-G

• Polish Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 04:18:07 PM »
  • Shambling Corpse has a regular Skeletons' description.
  • Ranger's Dog still gets targeted first

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 10:23:31 PM »
Thank you guys for all the brilliant feedback. I'm at the International Roguelike Developers Conference in London this weekend but I'll get right to bugfixing when I get back on Monday. Keep it up guys!

Mateusz P-G

• Polish Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 10:19:42 PM »
I've found (another?) impassable room.:

And btw, there should be a cap for summoned creatures too.
One thing is, they are targeted first when using ranged weapons/magic.
Also, they will push vendors in town aside if there's not enough room.

To brighten your day, below are the remains of my huge bone-rattling
Army of Darkness after I got tired of it:

P.S. Hope you enjoyed the conference, give us some feedback on it
after making it back to the continent!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:21:55 PM by Mateusz P-G »

digiowl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 01:20:09 AM »
1.19.1 still brings up the inventory when hitting # to cycle targets in the j2me variant.

FaustoMartense

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 10:29:47 PM »
I have to disagree with some of the other players. The walls looks awful now. When a block is alone it have edges like the blocks used before, but the rest of the walls looks more plain. It is like they made the dungeon with cement walls, there is not gap. The old look was better since it gave the appearance of a wall made of huge blocks of stone, now it is just a plain line of different colors.

Thot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 10:58:50 PM »
I've found (another?) impassable room.:

I found it too.
Maybe that's the prison for the teleporting wizards.

EDIT:
There is still a bug with the wooden floored rooms. There should be an another spike trap picture, because if I find one, the spikes are on a stone floor, not on a wooden one.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:03:41 PM by Thot »