Author Topic: Improving existing features  (Read 6720 times)

Hamish

• View Profile
Improving existing features
« on: January 27, 2012, 11:47:14 PM »
Before I start I'd like to say how much I am enjoying Dweller. I have found it to be the most accessible, stable and fun roguelike for android. It is also pretty complete in basic features.

A few of the existing features that I think could be enhanced are:

Doors - at present locked doors can be broken down or picked - neither option takes up much time or effects gameplay in the slightest. It would be nice to introduce a simple lock and key mechanic. A single, strategically chosen door on each level could require a key to open, players could then either find the key or bash down the door. If the player decides to bash the door down they would need to repeatedly attack the door which would have a relatively high number of hit points. to spice things up attacking the door could run the risk of dulling your weapon, reducing its quality to 'Worn'. This mechanic could also be applied to many weaker bolted doors on the level.

Wands and magic books - so far in my experience, wands and magic books function for wizards in exactly the same way, except wands have a limited number of charges. There is no incentive for wizards to use most wands if he has the equivalent spell book. A slight improvement on this might be to have wands behave differently for wizards than for rangers or warriors. For example a wand of fire would have a larger area of effect in the hands of a wizard as opposed to targeting a single enemy when used by a ranger. A wand of teleport would allow a wizard to select exactly where he wanted to go to on a level. This would make wands a more precious resource to manage when playing as a wizard.

Lights - the effect of lighting on the game is nice but could be made more pronounced on some levels. This could be done by reducing the visual range by one square and having all light sources start out as extinguished. The player would then travel around the level lighting lamps as they find them, revealing there surroundings as they go.

What d'you reckon folks?

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Improving existing features
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 07:38:49 PM »
Good ideas! I agree on all points.

I will definitely add locked doors that require a key to open. I have not yet decided on exactly how they will work. Will they block further progress through the dungeon or only guard special treasure rooms? I've had many plans to add a thief/rogue playable character that would be able to pick locks. This ability could also be given to the ranger. I'm also considering a skill/perk system where you get to chose a new perk at level up. One of these skills/perks could be a Pick Locks skill. I also like the idea of risking to dull your weapon. It could possibly require a heavy weapon to bash down a door.

I totally agree that wands and spellbooks are too similar. As you say, for a wizard there is absolutely no point in using a wand. Making wands more powerful in the hands of a wizard is one idea, and to an extent it already is since the Magic stats plays a big part in how effective a wand is. Maybe the wizard could have an ability to drain the charges of a wand and boost his own spellcasting in some way.

Starting with a lot more extinguished braziers is a really good idea, and maybe also reducing the visible radius of the player.

Hamish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 11:30:21 PM »
'I have not yet decided on exactly how they will work. Will they block further progress through the dungeon or only guard special treasure rooms?' - why not both?

Rather than introduce another playable character I would adjust the ones you already have and make the ranger more roguish if you want to. Dwellers simplicity is something to be preserved.

I think the lighting aspect adds a great deal of character to the game already and has further potential to add variety and strategic choices whilst playing. Its nice to choose between a pendant that increases your attack power and one that expands your field of vision. some other things you could add to play on this mechanic would be scrolls/wands of illumination and Tolkienesque swords that give off light around specific enemy types.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 08:23:35 PM »
Yes, good ideas on items that provide lighting. For now I've added an item in my issue tracker add more items that work as lightsources:

http://dweller.lighthouseapp.com/projects/88670-dweller/tickets/41-add-more-items-that-work-as-lightsources

GnPTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 12:48:42 PM »
I've found that the spellbook is good for general use and I whip out a wand for emergencies (healing, teleport)
GnPTurtle

Sewerdweller

• is always looking for Great Rogue Like Games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 05:52:37 PM »
When you pick up and item that was torn from your grasp -if it was previously in at quick slot -automatically put it back in quick slot so you do not have to find it in inventory to requip it. & show it the current quick slot of the active page so you know you have it.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 08:35:32 AM »
When you pick up and item that was torn from your grasp -if it was previously in at quick slot -automatically put it back in quick slot so you do not have to find it in inventory to requip it. & show it the current quick slot of the active page so you know you have it.
Good idea, but it will be hard to implement. What I could do is to implement an Equip? Yes/No popup when you pick up an item of a type that you currently don't have equipped.

X

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 04:32:39 PM »
These are a lot of suggestions, but some of them are minor, and others may already be in the works. However, I will say that I love this game so far, so these are just things that I think could make it even better.

1) Doors - I like the idea of having a small chance of it dulling your weapon, but another thing that could be cool is to have bashing a door give a chance to hurt yourself, lowering your HP by a little bit. That would certainly make you think twice about just brute-forcing your way through every door.

2) Minimap - Give an option to expand the minimap to the middle of the screen so that you can quickly look at exits / doors / chests you may have missed. While I like having the small minimap in the corner, I think it would be great if you could maybe click the Mini Map button twice and have it expand even larger (I guess at this point it's no longer a "mini" map though...!)

3) Spells - More! Cooler! (I might expand on this suggestion when I make sure I've seen all the spells in the game  :) ).

4) Compare - Instead of showing the exact stats for the item you are comparing in parenthesis, it might be nice to show just the change (ie: +1 armor, -5 damage, etc)... preferably color coded for + and -.

Good idea, but it will be hard to implement. What I could do is to implement an Equip? Yes/No popup when you pick up an item of a type that you currently don't have equipped.

This was going to be another one of my suggestions. Maybe you could do a quick check to see if they can use an item AND if they don't have anything in that slot, and then ask if they want to equip it. Obviously you don't want a popup everytime you stand on an item, but I think the benefits outweigh the negatives if you do it for items that go in an empty slot.

Edit: More!
-Change the color of the targetting square to red (or something other than white) when you cannot target. The way it stands now, even if you can see the enemy on the screen, there may be some walls between you and him. When you are targetting them, it would make it much more intuitive if you could immediately see whether or not you can attack him, without first trying to attack and getting an error message.

-Modify the character sheet to show what items you can have equipped. For example, you could have little squares saying "head", "ring", "left hand", etc. This would quickly show you whether or not you have an item equipped in a slot or not. Furthermore, if you click on the box, it would be cool if the inventory could open up sorted by all the items that can fit in that slot. For example, if you click on the head slot, the inventory screen shows all of the items you currently have that can fit in the head slot.

-Remove the message summary after you sell items. It shows the items you sold, and how much money you got. So if you sell multiple items, you have to click through a message each time you sell an item. My issue with this is that it doesn't tell you anything new - when you sold those items, you knew how many you were selling, and how much you were selling them for. Why bother with the message summary at that point?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 01:16:04 AM by X »

X

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 08:53:18 PM »
Couple more suggestions:

• Add an option to sell all unequipped items in a stack, or modify the current "Sell All" to NOT include an item if there is one equipped. For example, in the current system if you have 5 daggers, one of which is equipped, you need to sell 4 of those manually - by clicking "Sell All" it sells the entire stack, including the equipped one.
  • Allow users to have more than one save game going at a time. To my knowledge, the only way to start a "New Character" is by deleting your old one. It does give a forboding message like "Are you sure you want to quit an unfinished game?", which leads you to believe you are missing something on your current character and may not want to delete it! It may also be nice to be able to switch between characters, since there are three classes in the game.
  • (Super, super low priority suggestion)
    This is a really stupid issue that is only bothering me, I'm sure, but here it is anyways. Is there someway you could modify the crazy amount of text that happens when you step on a chest with a trap on it? This is what you see now:

*Walk over to chest.*
    *Click button to interact with chest*
    You are hit <more>
    You trigger a spike trap! <more>
    You're standing on a chest <more>
    You're standing on a Chest

Click center
    You're standing on a chest <more>
    You're standing on a (item) <more>

Click center
    *finally pick up item*

Seems like a lot of text, no?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:00:58 PM by X »

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 10:54:38 PM »
Thanks. Ticketed the first suggestion: http://dweller.lighthouseapp.com/projects/88670-dweller/tickets/68-add-option-to-sell-all-but-one-if-equipped

On the topic of more than one save game: Yes, this would be a nice addition and not really hard to add, but it is low on my prio list at the moment.

In fact, multiple save games is much lower than annoying more prompts as in your third suggestion. I want a nice and fast user experience, not a lot of message spam. Ticketed: http://dweller.lighthouseapp.com/projects/88670-dweller/tickets/69-reduce-amount-of-more-prompts

Sewerdweller

• is always looking for Great Rogue Like Games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 03:54:34 PM »
on "sell all extras" maybe a list of duplicate & incompatible items -would work best -to include any item you have 2 or more of -not including depleatable & consumable items
this would sure speed up the selling.

deepdig

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 03:59:02 PM »
I would like to be able to open the door key and the key had to look at a different level, or hiding in the trunk, or a monster. You can even open the door hidden buttons in the next room.

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 07:15:06 AM »
on "sell all extras" maybe a list of duplicate & incompatible items -would work best -to include any item you have 2 or more of -not including depleatable & consumable items
this would sure speed up the selling.
Def would love some sort of quickdump option for selling dungeon scum.  It would be even better if it was customizable per character type or by the player. 

I would mention the copious amount of text too but i think thats listed as something being addressed this week.  how about a Non-verbose option... or have different levels to the amount of info displayed? ok so i mentioned it anyway... my bad
When in doubt.  Scroll of Recall

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 08:15:46 AM »
I think you will all like the new version with the option of disabling more prompts (they will be off by default). The flow is so much better now! I've also made the message log smaller and right aligned so it doesn't overlap with the minimap if you have it opened.