Author Topic: The maze level - good or bad?  (Read 9424 times)

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The maze level - good or bad?
« on: January 27, 2012, 07:28:36 AM »
I'm very curious to hear your opinions on the maze side branch added in a recent version of Dweller. Did you find the entrance? Was the level fun? Did you reach the end and kill the mini boss? SHould Dweller have more side branches?

Thot

• View Profile
Re: The maze level - good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 11:01:51 AM »
It was really fun.
My warrior used the minotaur axe until the end of the game, and I used maybe 5 or 6 enchant scroll for it, to make it even better.
But with my rogue I just sold that weapon. It gave a huge amount of gold, so I could buy anything after that.
Maybe it could be a sidequest too.

Hamish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 11:13:26 PM »
Yeah I Liked it for sure. Its very enjoyable to have a different dungeon layout to explore and I think the maze pattern works well. Are those randomly generated by the way?

One suggestion would be to move the entrance to the side branch onto the starting forest level. It could become unlocked as a result of a small quest (finding an item at a certain depth of the main dungeon or somesuch) I think side branches would be more manageable and expandable if you used this system and it would also give more purpose to the starting area and quest sytem.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 07:24:07 PM »
Actually the maze was hand made, as is the halls of the Goblin King, The rest of the maps are as you all probably have noticed built using 7x7 tile pre-made map pieces, randomly put together and with exits aligned. I did a "create your own map piece" post a while back and I plan on doing something like this again, but this time using an online map editor to make things easier. I really like the thought of user created content and I hope to get a chance at exploring this more now that I have better tools to communicate with you guys.

When it comes to the quest system it is currently pretty basic. There are two quest types, kill and loot quests. Kill quests require you to kill a certain number of a monster while loot quests require you to collect a certain amount of a specific item. A quest can be repeatable, stand alone or part of a chain of quests. Quests can either complete when the goal is achieved or when the goal is achieved and you talk to a specific NPC. It is fairly easy to add new quest types, and it would actually be interesting to unlock new parts of the dungeon via quests. I'll give it some thought.

Hamish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 11:13:30 PM »
Nothing wrong with hand made! while procedural generation is a worthy cause I think randomly shuffled man made content can be a more direct route to a fun playing experience. I have to say that the coherent dungeon layouts in dweller are quite refreshing after so many PG cave systems.

That map editor looks great - truly useful. If you get round to setting up a user generated content system I'd definitely submit stuff.

There is also nothing wrong with a basic fetch and kill quest system. Dweller is after all a coffee break game. I think what is important is to set up an interesting environment where the player can set themselves challenges. For example, I killed the minotaur in the maze with no trouble at all, but my ranger just cant kill a self healing troll that spawned on the same level. There is no reason why I need to kill him, but I have taken it as a point of honor that he MUST die. I'm going to figure out how to use the environment to my advantage if it kills me.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 08:16:05 PM »
I'll make a post here and on the blog when I'm ready to accept map contributions.

On the topic of warrior vs ranger: Currently I think the warrior is a bit overpowered and the ranger could be boosted a little bit. I'm also considering to add an ability to the ranger that would allow him to set traps that attacking monsters might step in.

Hamish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 10:55:07 PM »
I am playing with the Ranger at the moment and it is fairly enjoyable. I don't seem to find many arrows though and so far have only found marksmans arrows and poison arrows. If they don't already exist, arrows of paralysis, weaken and confusion would add a lot to the rangers effectiveness. If you don't want to litter the game with arrow drops (considering there aren't any monsters that fire arrows, they could be made available through the shop mostly.

They have a bear trap in Legends of yore, and it is quite effective. They are disposable and vanish once the monster breaks loose. It would be better in my opinion to make them a valuable and retrievable item. That way when you use them you would need to finish the monster off to get it back.

GnPTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 12:45:08 PM »
The level was a fun diversion. Next time I'll have to try a warrior so I can try that sweet axe.
GnPTurtle

X

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 12:59:15 AM »
I definitely liked the maze level. It's optional, and it gives a nice change of scenery from the regular dungeon. Plus, having it be a maze encourages exploration.

I've only run it once so far, so I'm not sure about the random elements to it, if there are any... however, I do hope that at least something in there is random - whether it be the drop from the main boss, or the enemies themselves. While I completely agree that static maps are a welcome change from the sometimes repetitive, randomly generated ones,  the great thing about roguelikes is that you don't feel like you know exactly where you're going.

Regardless, it was a welcome surprise while exploring the dungeon!

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 10:45:38 AM »
I need to correct my earlier statement. The first level of the maze is randomly generated (layout, monsters and all). The second level is hand made, but the monsters are randomly placed.

X

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 02:08:50 PM »
I need to correct my earlier statement. The first level of the maze is randomly generated (layout, monsters and all). The second level is hand made, but the monsters are randomly placed.
In that case, I think it's perfectly fine the way it is then. The only thing I could think of is somehow alerting the player to the fact that they are in a "special" area of the dungeon, meaning they will hit a point where they have no more stairs going down and need to backtrack. I wonder if it would be possible to put a staircase right behind the boss that brings you back to the real dungeon area, instead of making the player go up two stairs to get back to the dungeon in order to progress.

gunn0r

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 04:57:05 PM »
I liked the maze level with the archer, but I have to agree with the arrow drops. Need moar  ;D
Also, I like the bear trap to keep monsters in place while I can shoot them from a distance.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 07:57:26 AM »
I've added the portal/one-way-stairs from bottom of side branches to the main dungeon to the feature tracker: http://dweller.lighthouseapp.com/projects/88670-dweller/tickets/63-add-a-one-way-portal-back-to-the-main-dungeon-from-a-dungeon-branch

It will not have a high priority, but I like the idea.

Phyr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 02:05:53 AM »
I like the level and wouldn't mind seeing more side levels

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 02:02:32 AM »
I noticed the levels change a lot since i first started playing.  Of course it's been two phones now so possibly over a year.  Regardless,  I like what I've been seeing with each new version and the maze level was an awesome addition.
When in doubt.  Scroll of Recall