Author Topic: Is there a "best" Dweller version?  (Read 1104 times)

Mateo1041

• View Profile
Is there a "best" Dweller version?
« on: December 19, 2015, 01:39:34 PM »
I downloaded an old version (1.24.18) recently, but it got me thinking about what the best version of this game out there might be.  Any opinions?  Is there a version that you'd call "best"?

CFS

• View Profile
    • Vilseck Translations
Re: Is there a "best" Dweller version?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 11:43:45 AM »
I don't know the version but from late 2013 to early 2014, Dweller had its hayday in my opinion.
Behold the Urkraft, behold the sacred force
We strike with the wrath of the rightful
We wield the invincible puritan blade

Mateusz P-G

• Polish Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 12:11:24 AM »
The best would be the one that used the old 8x8 (pre-Oryx) sprites and ran on 128x128 screens and was capped at 64Kb size. :)
For the time, there was nothing like it, pure delight.
And man, was it HARD!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 12:13:34 AM by Mateusz P-G »
If you remember the sprites from my avatar, know that you're awesome!

Mateo1041

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 04:17:18 AM »
Good to know.  Have a specific version in mind?  1.24.18 seems to play pretty well and is before the new GUI.  I sure wish I could find another game that I enjoy as much as this one, but so far no dice.  I've been trying to like Pixel Dungeon and have tried some of its various derivatives, but it's still not the same.  Back in the day I loved Dungeons of the Unforgiven for DOS.  Ah those were the days.

CFS

• View Profile
    • Vilseck Translations
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 02:47:38 PM »
As long as the Dweller crisis remains unsettled, you should try Red Wizard. It uses the same sprites and tiles like Dweller. It is a nice little game with random dungeons. However, the dungeons are so random, once you climb up a level and go back down again, there will be a different environment. The goal is simple: Get from the lowest underground level up to the surface. Permadeath. Nasty curses and stuff. But I like it.

Pixel Dungeon was too hard first, then they made it playable, now there are so many editions out there that I have lost my interest in playing any of it.
Behold the Urkraft, behold the sacred force
We strike with the wrath of the rightful
We wield the invincible puritan blade