Author Topic: Quests  (Read 10066 times)

Tomahawk

Quests
« on: March 08, 2012, 07:58:24 PM »
I think that the quest system will probably be expanded and improved as the game matures, but I would like to see the "More Rats!" quest from the merchant have humorous follow-on quests, like "Even More Rats!" "Still More Rats!" "Yet More Rats!"  "I Really Hate Rats!" "Rat Killah!" "Rat Exterminator!" "Rat Terminator!"

You get the idea.   :D

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Quests
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 10:50:12 PM »
Yes, the quest system will mature and I intend to add a lot more quests. It all comes down to me not having enough time. Adding quests is pretty easy. The quests are defined in a text file and they should be pretty understandable. Let me provide an example by showing how the Rat hunter quests are defined:

I: RATHUNTER
N: QUEST_RATHUNTER_NAME
D: QUEST_RATHUNTER_DESC
L: 1
S: CREATURE_WEALTHYMERCHANT
E: CREATURE_WEALTHYMERCHANT
G: KILL 10 CREATURE_SEWERRAT
R: ITEM_CLOAK_RATSKIN 1
X: 150
Q: MORERATS

I: MORERATS
N: QUEST_MORERATS_NAME
D: QUEST_MORERATS_DESC
G: KILL 10 CREATURE_SEWERRAT
R: ITEM_GOLDCOINS 200
X: 100
Q: MORERATS

And here's an explanation of each line:
I: quest id
N: localiser key for quest name
D: localiser key for quest description
L: minimum character level when this quest is available
S: quest start
E: quest end (if omitted quest ends when completed)
G: quest goal (GOTOWORLD <levelname>|KILL <amount> <creatureid>|LOOT <amount> <itemid>)
R: reward <itemname> <amount>
X: experience gain
F: quest flags (NOABANDON|FROMSTART|ENDSGAME)
Q: followup quest

If anyone would like to have a stab at adding more quests then please let me know! :-)

Tomahawk

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 11:11:32 PM »
I: EVENMORERATS
N: QUEST_EVENMORERATS_NAME
D: QUEST_EVENMORERATS_DESC
G: KILL 20 CREATURE_SEWERRAT
R: ITEM_GOLDCOINS 400
X: 200
Q: IHATERATS

I: IHATERATS
N: QUEST_IHATERATS_NAME
D: QUEST_IHATERATS_DESC
G: KILL 30 CREATURE_SEWERRAT
R: ITEM_GOLDCOINS 500
X: 300
Q: RATKILLAH

I: RATKILLAH
N: QUEST_RATKILLAH_NAME
D: QUEST_RATKILLAH_DESC
G: KILL 40 CREATURE_SEWERRAT
R: ITEM_GOLDCOINS 1000
X: 500
Q: RATKILLAH

OK, OK, I'll think of some serious ones.  :D

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 07:48:16 AM »
So we can submit quest ideas in this format and you might actully use em?????   8)
When in doubt.  Scroll of Recall

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 11:13:13 AM »
Yes :-) But I realise that the current system is a bit limited. I need to add a few more features to the system so that you can get a bit more variation to the quests. I would like to have certain quest items or monsters that only spawn if the player is on a quest for instance. That way you can have minibosses that you are assured would spawn on a certain level if the player has a quest to kill such a boss.

fvanzyl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 10:17:50 AM »
Is there a preferred format, thread or submission method for sending new quests? How about a little Quest wiki for wannabe submitters?!

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 10:20:45 AM »
Yes, the format is explained here: http://forum.dwellergame.com/index.php?topic=43.msg256#msg256 (a few messages above this one). You're welcome to post quests in this thread.

When it comes to "N: localiser key for quest name" and "D: localiser key for quest description" simply write the name of the quest and a quest description in English and I'll add it to the translation tool.

The Wizard

• View Profile
A new quest from the Healer
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 02:56:10 PM »
This quest is entitled: The Power of LifeStealing wherein it requires to kill 5 consecutive sewer trolls.. This may help to make dweller more challenging and strategistic. The reward would be : +1000 xp,1000 gold and The Magical Book or Sword or Bow of life stealing that depends to every  0.60% of life missing to a target.. ( or lesser or greater if you like my idea ).. What have u thought dweller admin and members? +_+

The Wizard

• View Profile
Re: A new quest from the Healer
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 02:59:49 PM »
This may not be present at the start, it will be given in higher levels (level 15 above)

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 08:01:10 PM »
I agree that Dweller need more quests and I'm going to try to create some slightly more random quests that you can come across while in the dungeon. In the case of the troll quest I would much rather prefer that you could come across the remains/ghost of a Dwarven Troll slayer and the quest to avenge his death by killing some trolls.

The Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 04:58:27 AM »
ahm, DWeller admin.. I have just thought again an another Quest,entitled "Quest: Regenaration" that says it needs to kill 2 variands of regenerating monsters. And you will receive the Ring of Regeneration,That regenerates for 3hp/sec. -- does it sounds good.?

Thot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 04:08:21 PM »
Ring of Regeneration,That regenerates for 3hp/sec.
/"sec"? :) More like /moves or /action at least. :)

FaustoMartense

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 09:39:11 PM »
I would like to see more quests in Dweller. Maybe some quest to look for a specific item, like bringing back daggers or robes, to complete a small quest with a minor reward. Otherwise I never pick robes and daggers, since the cost of them is so low... maybe if you have quests to look for these items, they would become more popular.

A quest to gather mushroom for potions...

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 10:46:47 PM »
Ok, so I merged the new quest post into an old post about quests. Let's try and keep all discussions regarding ideas for new quests in this thread.

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 08:14:50 AM »
here's more of a quest concept... "the evil twin!!" hehe... have some reason to fight a similarly equipped and stated doppleganger of your own character.  Have it spawn like the other fixed bosses or something just have it match the level of the character when it does spawn... I'm assuming some monsters spawn when the random map is created upon entry???
When in doubt.  Scroll of Recall