Author Topic: what went wrong with the dev?  (Read 2155 times)

StealthPliskin

• View Profile
what went wrong with the dev?
« on: August 08, 2014, 07:00:21 PM »
since the update with the new interface, in nearly every  section of the game there are troubles. i dont want to list every single problem, but i cannot understand how a game can be destroyed with updates, since they normally exist to improve the game and make it even more better. in this game it seems to take the other direction.

biggest problem now is the poor game performance, since sometimes without any reason the game likes to nearly freezes and after about 30 sec it goes back to normal game speed. also the log now sometimes do really weird things with skipping or do not show the right letter. also the touchscreen now isnt exactly like before, it often happens that i tap the enemy, but instead of hitting i do a move and the enemy can do a free hit. cannot be...

but what i really cannot understand in a roguelike with permadeath is the following...
i went down the stairs only to find enemys that are too strong for now. 1 hit and im almost dead. so i went up and go down other stairs to an other floor, clearing it and went down one more floor. after picking up some items i used the scroll of recall for selling and buying new potions at the surface. after that i used another scroll to went back and what happened?? yes, it send me back to the other floor with the strong enemy who did a one hit and all the effort was for nothing.  how is this seriously possible?

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: what went wrong with the dev?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 08:25:09 PM »
I hear you. The game is not in a good state at the moment. I'm sorry about that.

Some background and explanation: The game was built as a game for J2ME phones many many years ago. I have since then added an Android version, but the problem is that the game is running on a crappy home made game engine that makes changes hard to make. My recent change with the UI and the move to hardware accelerated rendering was made in an attempt to improve the Android version, but for many players the game has become worse. It is very unlikely that I will actually be able to fix this without a massive effort, and I honestly don't have the time to do so right now. I have a full time job as a developer and I'm the father of two kids. Dweller is a hobby project, one that I have loved, but as it is now it only feels like a burden.

I'm currently working on another game with Shroom and I use a very nice cross platform game engine. I have toyed with the idea of rewriting Dweller for that engine, but it will take some time. I honestly do not know what to do at this point. I am considering to remove Dweller from the Playstore and disable the forum since I am no longer proud of the current state of Dweller.

Kaku

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 05:01:54 PM »
The bugs seems to be related to a memory leak of some sort, at least to me.
Hopefully you'll find a way to keep dweller alive. Maybe removing some features and doing a "bare bones" dweller, idk.
:|

Sewerdweller

• is always looking for Great Rogue Like Games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 03:02:08 PM »
As a long time player - i thank you for your effort and the joy it gave us while it lasted. you have my email send me a note when the new game is up and running.
Good luck.

swooboo

• Russian/Hebrew Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 01:32:16 AM »
I hear you. The game is not in a good state at the moment. I'm sorry about that.

Some background and explanation: The game was built as a game for J2ME phones many many years ago. I have since then added an Android version, but the problem is that the game is running on a crappy home made game engine that makes changes hard to make. My recent change with the UI and the move to hardware accelerated rendering was made in an attempt to improve the Android version, but for many players the game has become worse. It is very unlikely that I will actually be able to fix this without a massive effort, and I honestly don't have the time to do so right now. I have a full time job as a developer and I'm the father of two kids. Dweller is a hobby project, one that I have loved, but as it is now it only feels like a burden.

I'm currently working on another game with Shroom and I use a very nice cross platform game engine. I have toyed with the idea of rewriting Dweller for that engine, but it will take some time. I honestly do not know what to do at this point. I am considering to remove Dweller from the Playstore and disable the forum since I am no longer proud of the current state of Dweller.

These are sad news (and old), but I don't like the idea of abandoning such a nice game. For what it's worth, people can still help with translations, which will be little effort on your side, and maybe even some fixes to code, though I've heard you don't plan to go open source. I am still hopeful, even though I reply to a year-old message, because Dweller is still installed on my phone and I like to play with it here and there... I'm happy it's not removed from the market, because the game is interesting to play as it is now, even though it has some issues. Which game doesn't? I hope you and your kids are well Bjorn, and that you succeed with Shroom or Dweller or whatever hobby you start with. I can totally say Dweller brought me many hours of joy, and participating in the creation of the game, even if only helping with translations, was a great pleasure.

Cheers.

--swooboo

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 04:17:08 AM »
well, I have to say it's pretty awesome when played on a pc through a droid emulator.  Great game in it's current state... i kinda dropped off around when the new interface was added but just now I played a quick lil game and I have to say I will definitely be playing it more... AS IS.

until maybe at a future date it gets picked back up somehow
When in doubt.  Scroll of Recall

Mateo1041

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 07:16:48 PM »
The interface was the main change I didn't like.  So I went back to 1.24.18 (last release before that change?) and found an old APK out there that has worked well for me.  I love this game and hope it'll still be possible to continue development on it at some point.  My game play goes way back to my BlackBerry Curve days when I first discovered the game.

Mateusz P-G

• Polish Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 12:23:19 AM »
Actually, I felt a strong wave of nostalgia taking me back to Dweller today.

Bjorn, what's up mate, all good?
Easter or not, all the best to you and yours.
Thanks for all the good times you've selflessly given us since 2003.
If you remember the sprites from my avatar, know that you're awesome!