Author Topic: Easy Money  (Read 2945 times)

Bower

• View Profile
Easy Money
« on: June 04, 2014, 02:11:42 PM »
Initially, I loved the change from Merchant-only selling-off of items to the current sell-from-inventory paradigm. However, it's making gold (which begins to accumulate FAST by mid-game) way too easy to collect.

Lots of idea threads are trying to remedy this surplus with various gold-sink items...why not just make gold a little more scarce? You won't be complaining about chests dropping 20 coins if the monsters start dropping 1 coin at a time, or if you have to lug that heavy halberd all the way out of the dungeon to get paid.

Alternatively, selling from inventory could either involve some element of risk, or the selling prices could be lowered by some function of the dungeon level you're on.

Roguelikes are supposed to be about efficiency and strategy, right? Having 100,000 gold just laying around shouldn't be an easy feat!

the-shroom

• Cover & Story Artist
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Money
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 02:49:31 PM »
Lots of idea threads are trying to remedy this surplus with various gold-sink items...why not just make gold a little more scarce? You won't be complaining about chests dropping 20 coins if the monsters start dropping 1 coin at a time, or if you have to lug that heavy halberd all the way out of the dungeon to get paid.

Alternatively, selling from inventory could either involve some element of risk, or the selling prices could be lowered by some function of the dungeon level you're on.

i was actually thinking the same thing. maybe the gold drop amount and prices can be lowered.

makiki

• Pro Warngerzard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 03:16:51 PM »
I think that selling from inventory is very bad idea. It just makes making money way too easy.
YOLO! Trying to do low-level challenge.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 11:42:09 PM »
I've always been under the impression that going back and forth to the surface is a chore that takes some of the fun out of the game, but maybe I'm wrong...

Bower

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 12:54:52 AM »
Absolutely correct! It is a chore for sure...which is why I thought the current system was fantastic at first. However in practice, I found it cheapens the experience for me. I would feel differently if I HAD to sell EVERY piece of dropped equipment from every monster and every chest to scrape enough gold together to buy something useful, but there's either too much gold in the dungeon, or not a high enough price tag with the merchant.

I strongly advocate an "in-dungeon" penalty for selling items...perhaps a flat penalty, so it might make sense to haul stuff to the merchant from levels 1-3, but after that it's more time/cost effective to sell at a reduced rate.

makiki

• Pro Warngerzard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 07:40:02 PM »
I've always been under the impression that going back and forth to the surface is a chore that takes some of the fun out of the game, but maybe I'm wrong...
I think it depends on person. For me it is just stupidity selling item to err... air? Floor? Void? And when you misclick there is no way to get that Scroll of Upgrade back. Also until this post I thought it was a bug!
But maybe for others... it may be good idea. Just good.

the-shroom

• Cover & Story Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 11:18:39 AM »

I enjoy the current system. its somewhat more convenient than searching for a shop room to room. and there is always the option not to click on the sell button and bring the stuff to the merchant.

I think it depends on person. For me it is just stupidity selling item to err... air? Floor? Void? And when you misclick there is no way to get that Scroll of Upgrade back. Also until this post I thought it was a bug!
But maybe for others... it may be good idea. Just good.

it does sound silly when you think where the items go but doesnt bother me that much. For the misclicking i think the space between sell, quickslot etc can be increased (there is plenty of space on most devices but not sure about small screens) or maybe a "ok to confirm sell" sort of pop-up can be added. and as for the bugs, there is one (which i think it was mentioned some time ago) when you have multiple of the same item, sell one does nothing, sell all sells all including the one equipped...

its just the amount of gold that bothers me

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 09:16:11 PM »
Thank you for the feedback. I will make a few changes in the next version:

* Selling straight from inventory will only give you half of the gold you would have received from selling to a merchant
* Monsters will drop less gold. A stack of gold (monsters can have several stacks of gold) was previously between 10 and 20 gold. It will now be between 1 and 11 gold.
* The Sell, Put in backpack and Use popup will be shown every time you pick up an item that you can use, even if you already have an item of that type equipped.

When it comes to arguments about realism and selling stuff to nothing I think it's quite ok to keep it as it is. A lot of games use the same mechanic.

makiki

• Pro Warngerzard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »
When it comes to arguments about realism and selling stuff to nothing I think it's quite ok to keep it as it is. A lot of games use the same mechanic.
Well, other games are:
1. Balanced about this feature,
2. Either letting you access shop everywhere or making selling not called selling (example is ToME 3, where after getting special item we can transmute not needed items into gold).
Maybe after some patches it will be good even for me :D. But for now, it is still nonsense IMHO. If you will make a in game explanation for this, then this will be a not bad idea, and after balancing patches it will good/great/awesome (depending on person).
But maybe I am not knowing 'the huge majority', 'gaming trends', etc.
PS I now see that I reacted very negatively just because of name. Sorry!

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 08:09:20 PM »
The new version was released a few days ago. Did any of you try it? If so, what do you think of the new drop rate of gold?

makiki

• Pro Warngerzard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 03:21:45 PM »
The new version was released a few days ago. Did any of you try it? If so, what do you think of the new drop rate of gold?
It is better now IMO, but selling in the dungeon still creates gold EXTREMELY fast. Now scrolls of recall seems useless to Ranger...

I have an idea for item - Portable Merchant Bootle, spawns an NPC who buys and sells items. Item can be used only once, but it can be easily found at Forest Merchant with cost 100g. Lower in the dungeon, better the gear. This NPC would be able to be killed by monsters, dropping random ammount of gold.

Bower

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 04:30:07 AM »
I think the wealth is better balanced now. Reducing the available gold further would risk making the game too frustrating/annoying to new players.
If I may critique your "merchant in a bottle" idea,  makiki,

Courier - sell items "in dungeon" at full value.

This may be tricky to implement, perhaps once used from inventory, all items can be sold at "surface price" and once the inventory screen is closed the courier item is spent, i.e. "lugs the stuff up" for you...