Author Topic: Traps  (Read 3438 times)

Bower

• View Profile
Traps
« on: May 31, 2014, 05:08:34 AM »
Since burning is BRUTAL, I'd like to see a pressure plate-style trap that turns in to a lava tile if triggered. These would really put careful exploration/trap detection at a premium! One bad lava tile in a corridor on level 1 could really ruin your day!
Slowing can be as bad or worse than a burn if you've got a few monsters on you. Why not add a "spider web" trap to keep the player on his toes?

I would also like to see more powerful (but rare) versions of existing traps; teleporting traps that send you to a random tile on a random LEVEL, summoning traps that SURROUND you with monsters, spike traps that cut your HP in HALF!

By the time you're ready to face The King, traps are a minor inconvenience at best. If you're going to give the player treasure rooms with a dozen free treasure chests, i think you should take a little back with some nasty traps!

Mateusz P-G

• Polish Translator
    • View Profile
Re: Traps
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 03:21:03 PM »
That is a bunch of very solid ideas, which unfortunately get completely squashed with the current "Dweller Reality".
First of all, no matter how dangerous the trap (including being surrounded by monsters), if it doesn't kill you outright, then you can always simply Recall/Teleport/Mass Teleport out of trouble.
Secondly, there's a couple items which grant Levitation -  completely negating all floor-based traps (If it was me, I'd get rid of those, or make them charges-based and only triggering a short buff, not pernament Levitation).
Then, there's this thing about monsters not being overly dangerous in general, and generated quite sparsly, so that the player very rarely gets stressed out at all. That defeats the idea of having locked doors as well - they're just a useless nuisance.
Finally, there's no real incentive to grab inconveniently placed treasure chests, as the loot distribution is very random, tending to give you a lot of "tier 1" crap, not even worth wasting your time on. Oh and don't forget about the players quickly learning to "wait/search" when they see a bunch of chests together, as the rest of the room will be filled with traps for sure.

Sorry to bomb your thread with such whining, but maybe this way Bjorn will get a hint.
 ;)
If you remember the sprites from my avatar, know that you're awesome!

Bower

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 05:02:42 PM »
That is a great list of counter points! Recalling out of a bad situation is a smart move, no problem there. Honestly, with how plentiful and inexpensive recall scrolls are,  you'd be a fool not to leave yourself that option.
Levitation is what it is. Everything has a counter. Perhaps making levitation inconvienant to have at all times is the answer -- like make chests or doors un-openable while levitating.
Sparse monsters...how about a "hardcore mode" that triples the mob rate?

One last uber trap, the hard-reset tile: teleports player to the stairs of level above, then completely regenerates the level

Guaranteed "good item chests" would be nice...give them a little star or something...oh and have them explode on the player 25% of the time!

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 12:40:59 AM »
Great feedback guys! I agree with your points. Let's do something about it! A new version has been released with the following two changes:

* Scrolls of recall will not work with monsters around. That will no longer make them "get out of jail" free cards.
* Chests have a lot higher probability of containing something valuable

In your opinion, what would be the next thing to adjust?

Bower

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 05:11:27 PM »
The chests are much kinder now!

If you use a scroll with monsters in your area of sight,  it wastes one, which kind of blows.
Also, if you reduce your area of sight (un-equip a lighting helm) you can then use the scroll even though the monster is still just as close to you. Is it worth the coding effort to determine if any hostiles are within x tiles instead?

Also, since this is still technically a trap thread; could there be summoning traps in chests?  Monster-in-a-box -- or perhaps a new enemy entirely, the typical rpg 'mimic.'

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 08:50:40 PM »
If I would base the recall on a distance instead of what's seen it might be abused as a "detect nearby monsters" (although a very unlikely and cumbersome way of doing it). Range might still be better... I'll add a comment to scrolls description mentioning that it will fail and still be used if there are monsters nearby.

Yes, mimics are doable, I just need the graphics for it. I'll ask ShroomArts if he can draw it.

Mateusz P-G

• Polish Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 11:42:02 PM »
Weeeeeell, that was surprising.
 ;D

A little off-topic, but still on "next thing to adjust" list...
I've noticed that I never, EVER miss with ranged weapons. Now what the hell? Not only does the Ranger get the priviledge of ramping up the biggest Speed score for insane amount of "moves", but also his accuracy is based off this stat? Switch all accuracy to Attack stat to make it a viable choice when leveling up. And while at it, perhaps increase the scaling for Melee attacks as all the Warriors  I've played always seem to have like 60% accuracy at best.
If you remember the sprites from my avatar, know that you're awesome!

Bower

• View Profile
Trap door abuse
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 11:54:22 PM »
Quick question for you all; if the down-stairs are really far from the up-stairs, do you try to save at least one trap door to... progress faster?  The -3HP is well worth bypassing a long trek to the next level.

Follow -up: should trap doors cause slowness (I imagine a fall like that might leave one's legs sore...) or just hurt a little more? ... or am I the only one does this?

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 12:37:16 AM »
I've noticed that I never, EVER miss with ranged weapons. Now what the hell? Not only does the Ranger get the priviledge of ramping up the biggest Speed score for insane amount of "moves", but also his accuracy is based off this stat? Switch all accuracy to Attack stat to make it a viable choice when leveling up.
Yes, that is correct. There was no miss check for missile attacks. That has been added now, although the chance of missing is low (based on attack stat, distance and max distance). BTW, the attack stat is actually used when determining how good a hit is (ie bonus damage, 1% per point).

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 09:24:48 PM »
Also, since this is still technically a trap thread; could there be summoning traps in chests?  Monster-in-a-box -- or perhaps a new enemy entirely, the typical rpg 'mimic.'
A new version has been released, now containing mimics!

Bower

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 02:14:13 PM »
Great! I'm still hunting for first mimic...it's an odd feeling to be disappointed that the chest you just opened had some artifact weapon instead of a deadly, deadly monster!

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 09:01:57 PM »
There's a 1/9 chance of any chest being a mimic, starting from dungeon level 3. Let me know when you find one!

Bower

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 09:55:42 PM »
Aye. Found a dozen shortly after the first mimic ended my game! I like 'em. They're jerks, but make the game a little more interesting.

Seeing the mimic in action brought to mind another specialized monster summoning trap. Are trap-braziers a possibilty? They could either Burn the player upon lighting, or perhaps spawn a "Fireball" monster that moves around for a few tiles before extinguishing.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 11:37:34 PM »
Yes, trap braziers are a possiility. I must admit though that I have considered removing braziers as I find far off light sources an annoyance when pathfinding since monsters in those far off places still affect my ability to path find (I could simple have a ranged limit for when pathfinding is prevented due to visible monsters).

Sewerdweller

• is always looking for Great Rogue Like Games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 03:13:45 PM »
A new version has been released, now containing mimics!
Ya love the idea off mimics(sent you a graphic almost two years ago -i hope your using it)  -unfortunately the latest versions of Dweller are unplayable on my 3 year old LG Phenix phone - touch screen is unresponsive -i have to wait over a second after i push any thing to see a reaction.  i hope this changes with future versions.