Author Topic: 1.24.25 [J2ME] Feedback  (Read 1604 times)

Mateusz P-G

• Polish Translator
    • View Profile
1.24.25 [J2ME] Feedback
« on: April 12, 2014, 09:51:55 PM »
Hiya, let's get straight to the point. This is what I've found so far (like 3 minutes of gameplay):
;)

The BAD:
- The game seems a tad slower, again. There's a lot of blinking when moving, as if the screen was being redrawn too much.
- The new walls don't work too good with the "shadow" mask when out of FOV. The mask merges with those single "sprayed on" pixels and looks like inkspots on the walls.
- At the intro, the first picture shows up at the top of the screen and is then immidiately moved to center, lookes like the object is placed at default coordinates and already rendered, and then redrawn again after calculating where the center is. Haven't noticed anything like this with next slides.
- Last text panel of the intro requires superfast reading, because it shows up for like 2 seconds (whic is the same as the rest, only it's 3 times more text to read!).
- The new menu bars (at the top of some screen), have this useless X for touchscreens.
- The text in those new menu bars is clipped a bit at the top and bottom.
- Immidiately after shopping or toggling any of the options in any menu (that includes actions with items from inventory, so I see how that's linked to shopping too), neither the key "left" nor "right" work. After taking one step into any other direction, it will work, just can't take the first step to the left or right. In other words, it's locking these keys for 1 step (left&right because those can be used as confirmation/cancell in menus I guess).
- Healthbars are misplaced to the right by about half a tile and empty (dark grey inside, with no color indicator). The positioning might be because they have the X coordinate rounded up to full multiplier of 16 (or whatever was the tile width).
- Looks like the screen doesn't get refreshed properly when shopping. Or maybe it's the inventory not getting refreshed? I seem to have bought 4 quivers in a row, while the shopkeeper always had 1. Interestingly, my Gold was showing properly when looking at the "item info" screen but was back to the initial value over and over, when looking at the shopkeeper's inventory.
- Missing some translations (the base text got altered here and there), need to get a new way of working on translation files.

The GOOD:
- I do have polish fonts unlike Makiki (or should I say - unlike Android version?)
- It's a new version of Dweller!
 ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 10:00:06 PM by Mateusz P-G »
If you remember the sprites from my avatar, know that you're awesome!

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 1.24.25 [J2ME] Feedback
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 12:57:47 AM »
Thank you! Excellent feedback as ever! I'll look these points over during the beginning of the week.

makiki

• Pro Warngerzard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 07:30:10 AM »
You have Polish fonts because you didn't recieve OpenGL.
YOLO! Trying to do low-level challenge.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 12:30:28 AM »
You have Polish fonts because you didn't recieve OpenGL.
Yes, the font issue applies only to the Android version of Dweller.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 12:32:46 AM »
Hiya, let's get straight to the point. This is what I've found so far (like 3 minutes of gameplay):
;)

The BAD:
- The game seems a tad slower, again. There's a lot of blinking when moving, as if the screen was being redrawn too much.
- The new walls don't work too good with the "shadow" mask when out of FOV. The mask merges with those single "sprayed on" pixels and looks like inkspots on the walls.
- At the intro, the first picture shows up at the top of the screen and is then immidiately moved to center, lookes like the object is placed at default coordinates and already rendered, and then redrawn again after calculating where the center is. Haven't noticed anything like this with next slides.
- Last text panel of the intro requires superfast reading, because it shows up for like 2 seconds (whic is the same as the rest, only it's 3 times more text to read!).
- The new menu bars (at the top of some screen), have this useless X for touchscreens.
- The text in those new menu bars is clipped a bit at the top and bottom.
- Immidiately after shopping or toggling any of the options in any menu (that includes actions with items from inventory, so I see how that's linked to shopping too), neither the key "left" nor "right" work. After taking one step into any other direction, it will work, just can't take the first step to the left or right. In other words, it's locking these keys for 1 step (left&right because those can be used as confirmation/cancell in menus I guess).
- Healthbars are misplaced to the right by about half a tile and empty (dark grey inside, with no color indicator). The positioning might be because they have the X coordinate rounded up to full multiplier of 16 (or whatever was the tile width).
- Looks like the screen doesn't get refreshed properly when shopping. Or maybe it's the inventory not getting refreshed? I seem to have bought 4 quivers in a row, while the shopkeeper always had 1. Interestingly, my Gold was showing properly when looking at the "item info" screen but was back to the initial value over and over, when looking at the shopkeeper's inventory.
- Missing some translations (the base text got altered here and there), need to get a new way of working on translation files.

The GOOD:
- I do have polish fonts unlike Makiki (or should I say - unlike Android version?)
- It's a new version of Dweller!
 ;D
I've fixed some of the reported issues in the latest beta:

* The last text panel is visible a litte while longer
* Health bars are correctly positioned

More to come soon.