Author Topic: Status update and some kind of semi functional beta  (Read 6029 times)

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Status update and some kind of semi functional beta
« on: January 12, 2014, 09:13:14 PM »
I'm not sure if someone still checks the forum, but at least there seems to be a little activity in the chat. I'm not gonna start by apologizing for the lack of updates, because I guess that is what brought me to the point of being so fed up with Dweller in the first place. Dweller has been some kind of hobby project for me where I can hack away on something just for fun, but lately working on the project has become more of a chore and it has completely killed my motivation.

On the other hand I feel that I need to finish the next version with the new graphics from TheShroom, since he really did some great work and it would be a shame if you guys didn't get a chance to see the new UI in action. I have uploaded a beta version with the new graphics but there's still some way to go before the new UI feels tight and coherent. If you feel like it, please give it a try:

http://files.dwellergame.com/beta/

If you try the beta then please let me know what you think of the new UI and report things in the UI that doesn't work or is buggy.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Status update and some kind of semi functional beta
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 09:16:52 PM »
Note: I haven't tried the J2ME beta. It might not work at all. Also, the J2ME version will differ in the UI from the Android and desktop version since the J2ME version doesn't support touch screens.

CFS

• View Profile
    • Vilseck Translations
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 12:48:14 AM »
There are even new people joining the forum once in a while. Why don't you charge a small fee for Dweller? Nobody would be hurt, I would pay for it. Thus you earn a few bucks which might fuel your motivation. Dweller is just to awesome to lay it to rest. Or maybe you try to find a willing coder to give your game to? It would still be your game but it would stay alive and develop further.
Behold the Urkraft, behold the sacred force
We strike with the wrath of the rightful
We wield the invincible puritan blade

Zadezl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 01:44:32 AM »
Hurray, Bjorn here. Bringing back my old Nokia phone and testing the new beta :D
The fist thing I see that the key config in j2me version is pretty buggy
But all of that the new UI is amazing :D

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 10:15:57 AM »
Zadezl, thank you for verifying the J2ME version. What exactly is buggy with the key configuration?

Zadezl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 11:01:37 AM »
All the key I set showed difference in the setting. Such as when I set "u" for target mod but it showed "j", and all the key likes that.

Mateusz P-G

• Polish Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 11:32:42 PM »
J2ME:

Same as for Zadezl. Instead of showing me the right keys, it lists some nonsense
letters (j, u, etc.) and those characters that you usually see when lacking proper
font. Also, all the handset-specific keys (SoftKey1, SoftKey2, Cancel, Center/OK,
Call and Hang up) are now treated as one - showing up as "Key_0".

The game is a bit slower with the new "granular" walls' shading, or maybe it's the
UIs fault.

While pretty, the UI is largely useless for non-touch J2ME, which is kinda obvious.
The new top-bar in info screens (Equiement, Inventory, Quets) can't fit the texts
properly  - longer texts are split into 2 lines which are centered vertically so one
can only see the bottom half of the top line of text and top half of the second line.
The "X" at the top to quit those screens is useless here, again.

There is no Character screen (not available thru the Menu at least, which is the
only way to get there for non-touch handsets).

Trying to bring up the QuickSlots produces a non fatal error. I would expect it was
supposed to enable a cursor in the new quickslots.

Android:

On Android, I got trouble mapping the keys - while some work, the physical D-pad
refuses to move the character ingame, while it works in the menus. I can't move
by touching the floor tiles either, so that effectively killed the game for me.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:02:11 AM by Mateusz P-G »
If you remember the sprites from my avatar, know that you're awesome!

Zadezl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 02:15:49 AM »
Yep, all the thing Mateusz said about j2me version is right. The new UI looks cool but it almost useless for the non-touch devices. And maybe you should shrink the size of the new UI, it is too large in the screen ( it takes one third of the screen in resolution 320x240 )

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 06:53:43 PM »
Hello again. I have uploaded a new beta that fixes the bugs with the keyconfiguration. I'll work on the other reported bugs during the week. Thanks.

makiki

• Pro Warngerzard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 10:27:10 PM »
On android (previous beta, not sure if you fixed it): the slime description seems like you wanted to fit it in one row of text, including stats, name, and pics. Not sure about other entities, but I think that normal rat description was good.
YOLO! Trying to do low-level challenge.

Zadezl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 07:46:15 AM »
Hello again. I have uploaded a new beta that fixes the bugs with the keyconfiguration. I'll work on the other reported bugs during the week. Thanks.

There is still bug with the handset-specific keys, instead of "Key_0" in the last beta now it is the up key in D-pad

stubble

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 10:27:45 AM »
It is really laggy on an android tablet took a long time to make a single move.

makiki

• Pro Warngerzard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 04:08:44 PM »
It is really laggy on an android tablet took a long time to make a single move.
That issue is know from beginning of android tablets. It's not a beta version bug.
YOLO! Trying to do low-level challenge.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 12:12:42 AM »
A new beta will be available in a few minutes. The new version is more J2ME friendly with a lean UI without a massive HUD. The quickslots are hidden from the start but can be brought up and used through a hotkey. Please test the new version and let me know if you find anything. If nothing major is found I'll go ahead an push out new releases to Google Play and dwellergame.com

Zadezl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 02:20:51 AM »

There is still bug with the handset-specific keys, instead of "Key_0" in the last beta now it is the up key in D-pad

This bug is still appear in the new beta Bjorn