Author Topic: Dungeon branches  (Read 8220 times)

JeMaCheHi

• Spanish Translator :)
    • View Profile
Re: Let's create a branch
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 01:00:04 PM »
Yeah, it would be a pretty cool idea! "The Hidden Temple of the Necromancers"! It should have lots of undeads controled by those necromancers and spirits, and the last stage of this hidden temple should be the "Black library" where you can get all the secrets saved by those cultists. I really like that idea.

I liked the "little hell" idea taken from the lava pits one. A hellish dimension could give the game more difficulty. I have to add that this hell should be at the deepest levels of the dungeon.

Finally, I noticed that 10 levels are pretty short for a roguelike... Could we increase this to 15 or even to 20? (Offtopic, I guess...)
Why spending your time by reading this?

Mateusz P-G

• Polish Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 01:32:33 PM »
Finally, I noticed that 10 levels are pretty short for a roguelike... Could we increase this to 15 or even to 20? (Offtopic, I guess...)

I'm all for more total levels, however make those really nasty
ones unlockable. Besides, with branches we've got 14 levels
right now (15 with newbie dungeon) and I'm pretty sure new
branches will be just like the existing ones: optional additional
levels, not replacements for the core 10 "plain dungeon" ones.
So I guess we'll get around 20 anyway.
 ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 01:34:18 PM by Mateusz P-G »
If you remember the sprites from my avatar, know that you're awesome!

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 01:35:24 PM »
Definately Caves and Sewers for me! Always loved the old
sewers with those wide corridors with sewage running thru
the middle and the caves for their seamless and irregular
"rooms". Can You re-create the old sewers roomset?
Yes, I still have it saved. I'll make an export so you can have a look at them and contribute more.

Watley

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 11:25:50 PM »
Caves or sewers. All the palaver i just read about hell dimensions and driders seems a little too much. The beauty of dweller is it's simplicity. I like the idea of themed areas like black library or stables too. However, i'd like to see more forest, with more beasties like bears, wolves and a green dragon.

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 01:17:16 AM »
Caves or sewers. All the palaver i just read about hell dimensions and driders seems a little too much. The beauty of dweller is it's simplicity. I like the idea of themed areas like black library or stables too. However, i'd like to see more forest, with more beasties like bears, wolves and a green dragon.
Ha driders!! thats what they're called... thanx man.  I like the simple monsters too but I still would like to see the strange and wierd ones they would just be really rare and some confined to only certain branches.  We also need multi colored dragons as well.  Cant have a green dragon and no red or yellow ones!
When in doubt.  Scroll of Recall

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 01:21:31 PM »
Ha driders!! thats what they're called... thanx man.  I like the simple monsters too but I still would like to see the strange and wierd ones they would just be really rare and some confined to only certain branches.  We also need multi colored dragons as well.  Cant have a green dragon and no red or yellow ones!
No no no, I will not fall into the standard roguelike trap of "hey, let's recolor monster foo and get a variant because we're too lazy to come up with a new type of monster" :-)

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 05:28:24 PM »
No no no, I will not fall into the standard roguelike trap of "hey, let's recolor monster foo and get a variant because we're too lazy to come up with a new type of monster" :-)
But dragon colors signify the types... green has chlorine breath red is fire yellow... umm something... and they could each have their own lil individual sprites.  I'm not saying do the recolor thing with every type of monster.  And what about Rust monsters and Xorns?  Theres so many rich monsters from d&d and hence other rogues since they are based on d&d that I think would only add to the game.  I get very excited when I run into an enemy I have never seen.  I love finding new things in rogues.  A lot of the monsters I'm thinking of that would be considered "rare" are indeed like 1 in 100 chances to meet for the old school dice games.
When in doubt.  Scroll of Recall

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 07:57:37 PM »
Well, I'm all for adding new monsters, as long as they provide something new.

My general idea is to at some point have the main dungeon filled with minions of the Goblin King. You should primarily come across Goblins, Orcs, Trolls, Eye's of the King and things like that. Branches should be a way to break away from the main theme and give the player something new. A branch every second level or so.

JeMaCheHi

• Spanish Translator :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 08:58:46 PM »
I'm all for more total levels, however make those really nasty
ones unlockable. Besides, with branches we've got 14 levels
right now (15 with newbie dungeon) and I'm pretty sure new
branches will be just like the existing ones: optional additional
levels, not replacements for the core 10 "plain dungeon" ones.
So I guess we'll get around 20 anyway.
 ;)

Sorry for the late reply, I'm currently borrowing that pc...
I was talking about the "plain dungeon" I noticed that Dweller is pretty simple to complete. You can avoid the "optional dungeons" but if you do, you'll pay for that. What I mean is that 10 plain level are really short if you pass the game without optional levels.
Why spending your time by reading this?

Mateusz P-G

• Polish Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 09:01:49 AM »

Maybe not recolor, but how about "reequip"? Just like
Goblins have their Shamans and Captains, I think they
should also have Scouts and Archers (like they used to
have), Worg Riders, Slave Drivers etc. Same could apply
to Orcs.

How about Spearmen for either of those races, which
could attack from behind their allies (as in - have a
melee range of 2 tiles instead of 1)?

Slavers could throw nets basicly stunning the player for
a short duration.

There's a lot to explore without even thinking of other
races.
 ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 09:05:06 AM by Mateusz P-G »
If you remember the sprites from my avatar, know that you're awesome!

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 11:17:11 PM »
Mateusz, the old sewer room designs have been uploaded to http://files.dwellergame.com/db/mappieces.html

There's a lot that can be done to improve the existing ones and add more interesting things as well!

EvilNickolas

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2012, 08:54:53 PM »
Are there any considerations towards out and up, or portals to bizzare and crazy places..
id love to see a black fortress down the track (way down the track)

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2012, 09:35:17 AM »
Out and up as in outside of the dungeon and the underworld? Hmm, well, I've wanted to keep Dweller simple with a single dungeon and everything going on underground. I guess the side-branches and the labyrinth contradict this though... :-)

If I were to guess the next dungeon branch will be a lava/fire based one.

JimmyMike

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2012, 11:38:45 PM »
How about an area that appears after the player has acquired a certain level in which important supplies have been stolen from the Merchant by bandits; you could follow a series of tunnels that have opened up in one of the walls of the forest level and emerge in the Bandit's Camp, where you would need to finish them and their leader off, then return the supplies to the Merchant. There could even be an impact on supplies offered until the supplies are returned in order to create a sense of urgency/necessity to the quest. Just an idea.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 12:43:10 PM »
It's a nice idea, but it also goes against my "keep everything underground" philosophy.