Author Topic: Dungeon branches  (Read 8221 times)

SannyRUS

• Strange Wizard
    • View Profile
Dungeon branches
« on: February 25, 2012, 03:30:59 PM »
Why do not you make a castle, which will be opened after the passage of the dungeon? (Prior to the passage of a dungeon, the castle will be closed on the lock.)
Castle will consist of huge halls (And not out of the labyrinth, as in prison). And then we'll go up to the floors above.
What can be done in the castle:
- New monsters.
- Start the hall. It will be a small room, which will be the seller and the NPC (with quests).
- New things.

Khaelenmore

• The Lord of Avenor
    • View Profile
Dungeon branches
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 07:17:36 PM »
I noticed this nice addition and have some ideas how to improve(?) it:

1) Add more branches. A good(?) number is 1 per 2-3 levels. Some ideas for them: Ancient Crypt, Forgotten Catacombs, Abandoned Mine, Natural Caverns...
2) Add branch-related quests - at least 1 for every branch. I suggest looking at Diablo 1 for quest ideas - they are simple enough in their mechanics yet quite various in player experience.
3) Add special monsters: Crypt with undead, Catacombs filled with vicious vermin, mines protected by powerful golems
4) Make main dungeon more diverse: First levels(2,3,4?) could look like a cave, then maybe underground forest in which the citadel of goblin-king resides(final 2-3 levels?)

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Castle.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 10:22:48 AM »
Well, I'm not sure about a castle, but in general I have a plan to make the different levels of the dungeon much more varied and themed. I will also add more side branches to the dungeon, similar to the labyrinth. (see http://forum.dwellergame.com/index.php?topic=36.0)

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon branches
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:24:06 AM »
Khaelenmore, excellent ideas. This is definitely something I want to do, and it will most likely get prioritized after the next release when I have improved the spell system.

Tomahawk

Re: Dungeon branches
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 07:45:29 PM »
Add something with either deep water or lava, to make the levitation ability more useful.  Then you could add a potion of levitation, too.

Mateusz P-G

• Polish Translator
    • View Profile
Sewers revisited.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 10:21:55 PM »
Björn I beg you, bring back the Sewers and Caves, they were adding
so much variety to the game! Even if they were to be just simple one-
level dungeons, I feel Sewers would be great for a lvl 1 branch, filled
with rats and Oozes and some simple named Shambling Corpse boss!

Here's an example in format simmilar to what you're using:

Plaguebearer
Disfigured master of the sewers, Plaguebearer is an embodiment of rot and disease. His putrid smell greets you from afar.

Attack: 15
Defense: 15
Speed: 7
Magic: 2
HP: 27

XP: 35

SPELL: TINYHEAL
SPELL: SUMMONSEWERRAT
MELEE: MELEE
MELEE: POISON

I simply swapped his blueish palette to that of a sewer rat and beefed
up some stats a bit in comparision to regular Shambling Corpse.

Drops: Perhaps some simple unique ring? I'd say something like Ring
of Vigour: 0/1/0/1 with added +5HPs (not sure how difficult to implement
it, first Diablo had this funny problem with removing HP equips that could
kill you lol).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:12:39 AM by Mateusz P-G »
If you remember the sprites from my avatar, know that you're awesome!

jordan.bubus

• French translator !
    • View Profile
Re: Sewers revisited.
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 11:03:58 PM »
Good idea Mateusz!

A question:
There was not the Caves in older version of Dweller?
(Levels where the walls and the floor are brown)

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 07:57:21 AM »
I'd like to see as many branches as possible.  I'd love to see a "hell" themed area w demons and lotsa lava.
When in doubt.  Scroll of Recall

Mateusz P-G

• Polish Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 08:01:40 AM »
@Jordan
There used to be Caves as well as the Sewers.
But they were never branches of the dungeon, just regular levels.
Seweres used this green "poisoned water" a lot, and moving thru
it could poison you.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:12:57 AM by Mateusz P-G »

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 01:00:50 AM »
Yep, I plan to reintroduce both the sewers and the caves. I have a nice idea for a nasty ooze variant that I'd like to add, and I think the sewers would be the perfect place :-)

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Let's create a branch
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 02:39:33 PM »
Ok, so I'm fairly confident that I will be able to solve the last few critical bugs very soon, and then it's time for me to start looking at the next area of focus. A lot of votes suggested a new dungeon branch, and that's what I'm thinking I should do next. So, let's create a branch!

I had some initial suggestions but please provide your own ideas as well:

The Caves
Irregular shaped rooms and corridors. Destroyable walls. Falling rock traps. Pushable stones. Flooded areas. Impassable chasms (unless flying).
Monsters: Spiders, Rats, Bats, Cave trolls, Rock Golems

The Sewers
Three tile wide corridors with sewage flowing through them. Open areas with pools of sewage.
Monsters: Sewer Rats, Spiders, Sewer Trolls, Oozes, Some kind of large monster resembling the DnD Shambling Mounds

The Mines
A lot of winding passages. Falling rocks. Flooded areas. Possibly areas that are diggable with the right equipment and the chance to find gold. Pushable mining carts?
Monsters: Goblins, Cave Trolls, Rats, Bats, Spiders possibly some Tolkienesque Balrog

The Lava Pits
Lava, lots of it. With areas of rock where you can stand. Bridges between some parts, but for the most you would need some means of flying.
Monsters: Fire elementals, Lava worms, Imps, some kind of minor dragon like creatures

The Underground Lake
A little bit of beach, but for the most part flooded. Possibly some new kind of deep water where you take damage (drown) unless you have the ability breath under water. Stranglekelp traps, Giant clam traps.
Monsters: Mermen, Kraken,  some kind of big fish, crocs ... hmm, need some help here.

Themed levels within the main dungeon
The Black Library - Lots of casters, bookshelves, tables, chairs. Summon traps. Summoned demons? Cultists.
The Stables - Orcs, goblins, worgs and possibly some other riding animal suitable for goblinoids (spiders?).
The Prison - Cells with trapped human npcs, torture chambers

More branch ideas or suggestions on how to improve the above?

Sewerdweller

• is always looking for Great Rogue Like Games.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's create a branch
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 03:23:49 PM »
WOW- I guess you are going to need a lot of help - i am willing to re-colour existing world pieces - email me a zip file with the pieces you want done first and a color scheme and i will do these that way Onyx can focus on the NPC and monsters.

Mateusz P-G

• Polish Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 09:33:08 PM »
Definately Caves and Sewers for me! Always loved the old
sewers with those wide corridors with sewage running thru
the middle and the caves for their seamless and irregular
"rooms". Can You re-create the old sewers roomset?

JeMaCheHi

• Spanish Translator :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 11:48:02 PM »
I know you didn't listed this but I was thinking about another branch. It's some kind of hidden temple. An underground temple with lots of artifacts, and cultists, dark wizards, ghouls, wraiths....
What do you think about guys?
Why spending your time by reading this?

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 12:30:42 AM »
I know you didn't listed this but I was thinking about another branch. It's some kind of hidden temple. An underground temple with lots of artifacts, and cultists, dark wizards, ghouls, wraiths....
What do you think about guys?
... and a lot of teleport traps!! great  idea.  I like the caves and mines ideas as well.  I really love the lava pit theme but would like it to be some sort of a twisted underworld/hell realm with some demons names after prominent and legendary evil spirits.  Have some little toth-like monsters running around and maybe a big fat beelzebub with an army of fallen angels to battle.  Also, what were those half drow half spider things from the Eye of the Beholder games back in the day?  Actually some dark elves would be cool sans the spider butt.  The black library and lost temple themes seem similar and could possibly be blended.  Make the level mostly temple in the front and then behind the alter you enter the black library area?

Oh and I have finally witnessed some purple ooze merges as well as seeing fireball spells casted at my character more often.  The game overall seems to be getting harder too.  me likey
When in doubt.  Scroll of Recall