Author Topic: new user interface  (Read 9963 times)

the-shroom

• Cover & Story Artist
    • View Profile
new user interface
« on: April 29, 2013, 11:16:48 AM »
working on the new user interface with Björn.

we went through various different interface designs and decided to settle on this. These pics are work in progress, hero information screen will be like the one on the left and the the inventory screen will have 12 equipment slots instead of 9. the in game interface will have 12 quick items around a radial that shows mana, hp and exp. Will add some decoration around it without obscuring the game area.

and here are some of the stuff that wont be used

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: new user interface
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 03:39:13 PM »
So, does anyone have any opinions on this? Good or bad? Personally I like it very much. The game will feel more "gamey" while still retaining it's roguelikeness.

Sewerdweller

• is always looking for Great Rogue Like Games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 05:52:51 PM »
The stat page is a big improvement - but can you add an icon next to each outfit location for magic effects or bonuses for that item ( ie poison/burn/ light/ speed ...)  -
Don't forget on your list of things to do was a quick swap for alternate quipped items -ie quick switch from 2 handed weapons to single handed with off hand item ie sheild. - maybe give us 10 quick slots and one double one on the right side just below where the attack button we discussed -this double one can hold any two items that when pressed will swap with the corresponding items from equipped items slot and at the same time the removed item(s) now appears in the double quick slot. swap out should still take one game turn but it makes game play faster as you do not have to spend real time re-equipping.

Stereborg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 02:01:38 PM »
I also like it. But those "some of the stuff that won't be used" is also okay, some of it perhaps.
* ۩ The Infamous Dweller Player ۩ * ™

stubble

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 04:13:08 PM »
I like the inventory system but I don't feel we should use the diablo HP,mp display.

Stereborg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 09:15:05 AM »
I'd support you.

the-shroom

• Cover & Story Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 11:43:42 AM »
I don't feel we should use the diablo HP,mp display.

If you are referring to the orb in the middle as the diablo display I do agree, I would have preferred having the hp and mana as bars to the left and right but Björn wanted it to feel gamey and as compact as possible, so we had to use colourful bars instead of numbers and having them inside the orb gives 12 quickslots instead of 6 so i cant deny the fact its rather effective the way he wants.

anyway, here is the low res (240x) version. colours will change slightly

and the regular (480x+)

can you add an icon next to each outfit location for magic effects or bonuses for that item ( ie poison/burn/ light/ speed ...)

there is so limited space for the 240x screens but i think it can be possible to add tiny icons next to outfit locations.

this double one can hold any two items that when pressed will swap with the corresponding items from equipped items slot and at the same time the removed item(s) now appears in the double quick slot.

björn hasnt told me to do such but it can easily be done by changing the last slot so it is possible

Stereborg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 06:33:48 PM »
Maybe do a poll for the users we have here in this forum, a vote or something if we should do such things. Anyways still a good interface but if the gamers does not want the new gui what will their reactions be?

Though I  really appreciate that such improvements has been happening to dweller . . .        :D

V1t3r

• Viter Hellmet(Storm mage)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 11:59:59 PM »
Guys, if you want to insert new interface to the game, you need to do it like an option. I don't like idea with health/mana/stamina(in future, I hope) bars, numerical showing is most best on the 240x screens, also interface must be compact on mobile devices(touchscreens and devices with keyboards), also all additional panels,like quickslots, should be hidden then they doesn't need. Also may you should do an interface design more Dwellerish, not like in Diablo? About inventory screen - Almost perfect(for me, of course). And one little ask if you will do(I hope, that you will do) a new interface: Do it maximum custumizeble(more settings), please.
Every Ooze() had a maniacal dream: destroy all heavy doors(). Killing oozes you save the door's life XD

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 11:43:25 AM »
I like the idea of keeping the existing interface but only as an option in settings somewhere.  Under interface you can pick decorative or plain.  The default would be the decorative which I really love... everything since mr shroom came on board has just enhanced dweller so much.  Thats not to say Dweller didn't already have a great platform established... but now that we have a dedicated graphic designer working on it, the game seems meatier.  yum!
When in doubt.  Scroll of Recall

the-shroom

• Cover & Story Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 05:19:57 PM »
Maybe do a poll for the users we have here in this forum, a vote or something
the reason behind this post is to gather feedback before implementing. i am surprised there is so little feedback yet.

if you want to insert new interface to the game, you need to do it like an option.
i agree on it being optional.  players should not be forced into major changes and everything should be configurable from the options menu as "new" and "classic".

numerical showing is most best on the 240x screens
i also think this sort of numerical stats would work better for 240x like here  http://v1t3r.at.ua/pictures/Dweller/ui/main.png and i have already suggested it to björn.

also all additional panels,like quickslots, should be hidden then they doesn't need.
this is also possible but should ask björn

Do it maximum custumizeble(more settings), please.
more settings like?

Under interface you can pick decorative or plain.
like i said before, i agree on optional stuff.

everything since mr shroom came on board has just enhanced dweller so much.
thank you

V1t3r

• Viter Hellmet(Storm mage)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 03:25:59 PM »
the-shroom,
more settings like?
Yup. As maximum, as you can :-)
http://
i also think this sort of numerical
stats would work better for
240x like here
v1t3r.at.ua/pictures/Dweller/ui/
main.png
and i have already suggested it
to bjцrn.
O_o THX!
P. S. About inventory screen: please, add button to switch between Grid and List view (If you want to do grid view of items)
Every Ooze() had a maniacal dream: destroy all heavy doors(). Killing oozes you save the door's life XD

Sewerdweller

• is always looking for Great Rogue Like Games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 03:46:57 PM »
We need to also divide the inventory on the sell list for the merchants -all items that are unusable by that character class should be in a separate list with a "sell all" feature. this wold speed up the game greatly.

yevrowl

• View Profile
    • Owl
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 07:09:33 AM »
Excellent news and excellent interface! Thank's a lot.
=)

swooboo

• Russian/Hebrew Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 09:06:44 PM »
The new interface does seem more gamey, looks nice. But for some reason, it is pretty slow on my pc. Using Ubuntu. Although about inventory - would like it if there would be a little more info about the item, so I would not have to click on every item to know what exactly it is. Maybe, when the cursor is on that item, show a popup about it. However, there is no cursor on touch screens...