Author Topic: Spells  (Read 5490 times)

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Spells
« on: February 22, 2012, 07:55:48 AM »
Ok, so I plan to add quite a few new spells in the next few releases of Dweller. I will also try to find a good way of making the wizard less powerful at higher levels. The easiest way to do this would be to increase the cast time of spells and also make some spells faster to cast than others. Anyway, I thought this post could be the starting point of a list of spells that could be added to Dweller. Here's a list of existing and new spells. I'd like to hear you suggestions on new spells as well!

Fireball
Hits a single target. Average cast time

Lightning Strike
Some kind of chain lightning spell. Hits multiple targets. Long cast time.

Blink
Teleports the caster a relatively short distance to a spot you have line of sight to. Short cast time

Tornado
Knocks back opponents opponents around you. Average cast time

Icetomb
Encase a target in ice. The target takes no damage/minor damage while in ice. If you hit the target the ice will break. Average cast time

Sleep
Mass sleep. Monsters within a certain distance will fall asleep. Long cast time

Charm
Convert a monster to an ally (yes I know that I need to improve the way allies interact with you and hostile monsters). Average cast time

Drain
Drains HP from a single target to yourself. Average cast time

Teleport
Teleports you/your target to a random position in the dungeon. Short cast time

Controlled teleport
Teleports you to a position of your choice. I'm not really sure about this one... Long cast time.

Slow
Reduces the speed of a single target. Short cast time

Poison
Poisons a single target. Short cast time

It is also possible to make variations of a lot of spells. Spells can have an area of effect. The area of effect can be single, line, circle, cone, los etc. This means that you could take the Fire effect and  combine it with a Cone area of effect to make it into a "Dragon's Breath" kinda spell.

X

• View Profile
Re: Spells
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 05:00:06 PM »
(This is a copy and paste from my Wizard thread)

Ice Wall: Creates a wall of ice which blocks off areas for a short time. Useful for blocking off areas to keep you protected. Short cast time, short duration, long cooldown.

Stone: (similar to your Icetomb, which I like the idea of)Turns an enemy into a stone block permanently. Maybe make it a moveable stone block to prevent people from blocking themselves in (Then again, if it's a roguelike you could make them live with their decision!). You would get no experience for this "kill," but it could be used as a last ditch effort to save yourself. Short cast time, long cooldown.

Fire Sweep: Point blank, AoE spell that damages all enemies in the squares directly surrounding the Wizard. Average cast time.

Confuse: Confuses an enemy, causing it to do any number of things for a short number of turns. These could range from attacking other enemies, standing still in confusion, or walking aimlessly around while the effect lasts. Short cast time, lasts for at least 5 turns.

Summon: Summons a random monster to assist you for a while. Maybe this could have a chance of breaking early and getting the monster to start attacking you. This spell would have a random factor so you don't know whether you'd get a rat or a troll to assist you. Short cast time, long duration with a chance of breaking early.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:03:03 PM by X »

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 03:48:47 AM »
awwww nelly!!! you guys have great ideas.  I'd like to see spell "families" like fire, lightning,ice that get better as you level or find the next spell book up.  start with say a fireball that effects one enemy then maybe a double shot then go to a total shotgun effect of fireballs something like that.  Maybe just have one fireball that grows as you level covering more radius around the target as you level or learn better versions of the spell etc.  I'd think that once the effects of the Charm/alley action is fixed you should implement a system to call or summon the "charmed" creatures to your area much like the magic whistles in nethack/slashem.  There should definitely be some sort of binding spells like the ice spell our wonderous admin spoke of.  Ice, paralyze, and slow would be good names for this family.  Overall i think that each element should have its own family of spells.  Fire, Ice, poison, Tornado/wind, and definitely Earth types.  I think Dig would be a great addition although until the dungeon expands this would prove to shorten the game as mages dig down through multiple levels too early in the game just to take a shot at mr G king.  There could also be some sort of create pit and boulder types of spells and again I'm drawing from other games but we definitely want to include the obvious stuff.  I also think we should have some original spells too but really what hasnt been done before? 
When in doubt.  Scroll of Recall

lorebf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 11:13:35 AM »
Recall: You teleport to the place where you first used the spell (fist time it marks the place, second time you teleport there.)

Block: Make a solid unbreakable block that goes away after a while.

kinect: open chests, doors etc from a distance (avoiding traps)

invisible: become invisible for some time.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 07:54:47 AM »
Nice ideas! Thanks!

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 04:11:21 AM »
I've been finding new spellbooks recently... very nice!   :)

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 12:26:17 AM »
Yes, I added a few, but I'm not really happy with them yet. I want more spells and more variety!

GnPTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 04:40:58 AM »
I want more spells and more variety!
Yes, well as a devoted ranger, don't forget their variety too.  ;)
GnPTurtle

Sewerdweller

• is always looking for Great Rogue Like Games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 03:01:56 PM »
You may want to make the spell books "wear out" after 100 plus uses, force the player to use more then one like you do with the wands - i find once you have the book of draining i get careless and just attack only switching when undead are near. if i had to worry about it running out i would switch around more often and maybe try using some of the less powerful books instead. -also on book of transport monsters go to far away maybe they should go to edge of screen only giving you running room but not eliminating threat every time you use it. also add chance of monster appearing inside wall when transported 10-15% chance -hurting or killing it this will let you use transport as a weapon in close confines. -you could use above idea as a new book "Book of Push and Shove" it would be fun to see trolls fly across the room and hit a wall then get up and com after you again & again.

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 07:42:02 AM »
I'd like to see a magic point system come into play but i do understand that would entail quite a bit of code.  There is a "push or shove" spell its called knockback but I dont think it damages enemies... that would definitely be cool though. Like when the knockback results in colliding with another monster or a wall that would make sense that some damage be inflicted.  I'm curious though as to how spell failure currently happens.  Could we get a detailed or maybe not so detailed explanation of how the spell fizzle works?

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 01:32:36 PM »
I'm finally starting to wilt to the repeated requests to reintroduce mana/magic points (MP was a stat in old versions of Dweller). I did a first stab at adding a generic energy stat currently only used by the wizard. The energy is reduced when casting spells and different spells have different cost. Some energy is regained after each turn and I'll have to reintroduce mana potions. Now that I think of it I actually believe this will be a good change that will add a lot of challenge to the way you play the wizard class.

FaustoMartense

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 10:42:18 PM »
What about a spell or scroll to cause fear? It may be used only in one monster at a time to make it run away or perhaps it can send a pulse that produce fear in the nearest monster. It would a good way to escape when you are low on health and you do not have an Scroll of Recall.
It sounds similar to Charm, but instead of making the monster friendly it would make it run for a fixed amount of turns, like the rats does. If it is a spell with a big AoE, you can reduce a bunch of monsters attacking you to a few, since not every monster would be affected.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 11:45:20 PM »
Yes, fear would be a nice addition as well.

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 05:01:49 AM »
I'm finally starting to wilt to the repeated requests to reintroduce mana/magic points (MP was a stat in old versions of Dweller). I did a first stab at adding a generic energy stat currently only used by the wizard. The energy is reduced when casting spells and different spells have different cost. Some energy is regained after each turn and I'll have to reintroduce mana potions. Now that I think of it I actually believe this will be a good change that will add a lot of challenge to the way you play the wizard class.
I think it's needed at this point... now that the wiz has a a nice inventory of powerful magic to choose from it would be insane to just let us cast at will... so i guess no fizzle explanation huh?? and hey Faustos that fear spell is a pretty cool idea too... sounds like a nice addition

FaustoMartense

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 09:03:19 PM »
There is a scroll like that in Brogue, it cause a pulse and let you escape freely. (If do not know it, try it. Since it is a ASCII Rogue clone/improvement.) I do not remember it that pulse ignore walls.

A scroll would be nice to help non Wizard classes, but since the other two classes are physical enough to resist various enemies, the Wizard would have a nice addition when accidents happen. Like steping on a Summon trap and getting surrounded at the instant.