Author Topic: new graphics for dweller  (Read 6513 times)

the-shroom

• Cover & Story Artist
    • View Profile
new graphics for dweller
« on: February 07, 2013, 01:50:09 PM »
this is a follow up on björn's post on the main page

Shroomarts experimented with new sprites (terrain and monsters) but we would have had to increase sprite size too much to make it look good and that would have been a problem on J2ME devices.

Unfortunately what Björn says is true for hand made tiles and sprites. the smallest they can go (without losing quality) is probably 40x40 so implementing a hand made tileset would be impossible unless a different version that supports a higher resolution is made.

However this doesnt mean i cant work on pixel versions of the same visuals, so if björn decides for additional tilesets i can make a new pixel based set.

Zadezl

• View Profile
Re: new graphics for dweller
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 02:27:58 PM »
I love the new sprites but unfortunately it won't be added in dweller. So sad :(

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 12:42:08 PM »
Those tiny ones look really good Shroom! Would you mind giving a try and make a better Minotaur? The one in the game at the moment is made by me and it doesn't look good. The same goes for the Ghouls, the could use some new graphics as well.

swooboo

• Russian/Hebrew Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 02:57:35 PM »
These look neat and fab. I like them, but they won't be seen on my 240x320 display? Anyway kudos. :)

the-shroom

• Cover & Story Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:30:45 AM »
Would you mind giving a try and make a better Minotaur? The one in the game at the moment is made by me and it doesn't look good. The same goes for the Ghouls

i'll see what i can do

they won't be seen on my 240x320 display?

the small ones (white background) can be seen on any display but the bigger ones (with brown background) need bigger game tiles to look good. so its not the resolution of the device but the general tile size of the game.

Zadezl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 03:55:01 AM »
I love the new monter sprites, now Dweller look like a cartoon game :)

the-shroom

• Cover & Story Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »

here are the latest monster sprites. These are 24x so they can be viewed on any platform the game runs.

and for the ones who find them too small, the bigger 48x versions can be found at
http://shroomarts.blogspot.com/2013/02/dweller-roguelike-sprite-set.html

Sewerdweller

• is always looking for Great Rogue Like Games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 02:33:30 PM »
Sorry in my opinion too cartoonish - will give the game a pre-school feel -

Stereborg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 06:30:27 PM »
Looks like you don't want new interface, anyways shroom's idea was good. He did put an effort to it ( as I can notice ). I like new interface and interactive menus for the game, now it's near ( that means I support shroom ).

Besides a game with a story and side-story can be good and it might gradually increase popularity of the game due to the portability and user friendly-ish of the game . . .

THUMBS UP
* ۩ The Infamous Dweller Player ۩ * ™

Mateusz P-G

• Polish Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 11:58:06 PM »
I don't mind them being cartoony (or looking like a stained glass images),
this is just a matter of taste. I dislike however how most of them are very
dark and low contrast, missing a lot of detail and most propably being too
hard to read on dark default dungeon tiles.
If you remember the sprites from my avatar, know that you're awesome!

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 11:44:12 AM »
I like the new monsters drawn by Shroom, but I haven't decided yet if I should keep the ones we have or use the new ones. I'd like to implement the intro-graphics and get some work done on some artifacts that I've promised people and start adding perks/talents before I decide on swapping graphics.

the-shroom

• Cover & Story Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 12:28:36 PM »
to clear things i'd like to say i made these sprites to be a set with the new screens and story visuals you will be seeing in the upcoming releases but i never intended them to replace the current classic ones.

just thought it would be nice to have alternative looks for monsters and tiles where the players can pick via options menu. If Björn decides to implement such a system, it would be fun to see different styles from different people. ascii art, mono-colour and such.

most of them are very dark and low contrast, missing a lot of detail and most propably being too hard to read on dark default dungeon tiles.

you may be right with the tones, i tend to prefer dark tones and it may be hard to see due to size and background tiles. maybe lack of light and shading makes them seem less detailed. again both are easily fixable.

coolasc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 01:05:08 AM »
I like the new monsters drawn by Shroom, but I haven't decided yet if I should keep the ones we have or use the new ones. I'd like to implement the intro-graphics and get some work done on some artifacts that I've promised people and start adding perks/talents before I decide on swapping graphics.

i'm no programer so I have no idea how hard ths would be, but other dungeon crawlers (not as good must admit xD) such as nethack (don't say it's pc only as it's android ports have) have multiple style sets that can b changed on the run, would this be possible with dweller?

best example (if this would be programable) would be this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nethackff&hl=en

the guy who made it created a separate file for tiles this way the game can stay in it's tiny package and the extra graph optios come as download... i know you got a plan for later add.ons such as quest and so and the 8bit old style and shroom cartonish style graphs r both awesome, so if possible i'd really love an option to choose, and i bet part of the comunity stands with me

stubble

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 04:42:47 AM »
In my opinion,i would prefer if we could choose between the new graphics and the old ones at any time,i like them new graphics for sure. ;D

Zadezl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 11:09:33 AM »
Will you use the new graphics, sir? In this pic, the new ones is amazing :o