Author Topic: Whats new in Dweller?  (Read 6116 times)

deathknight1728

• View Profile
Whats new in Dweller?
« on: January 28, 2013, 12:38:45 AM »
Well its been a while but I remember hearing about you guys. I'd like to donate some if I can as other than Cardinal Quest, this is one of the only other roguelikes I can play. I never got to play this much as this mac is new and the previous comp wouldn't run for some reason.

I was going to ask if there was any sounds for combat. I could care less about music but it would be cool if there was any sounds with combat to make it more cool.

Thanks in advance.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Whats new in Dweller?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 12:20:24 PM »
There's no sound in Dweller at the moment. I have a guy doing music, but so far no one doing sounds. Both sound and music is a tricky business since you really need to take care not to annoy the hell out of the player. I would like to add sound effects but I need to find someone who can produce the sounds for me. Any takers?

Mateo1041

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 09:55:16 PM »
I'd actually vote against too much noise.  Something I like about this game is that I can play quietly, both at night and in public.  Maybe if it were well done or could be turned on/off it'd be ok.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 12:41:14 PM »
I'd actually vote against too much noise.  Something I like about this game is that I can play quietly, both at night and in public.  Maybe if it were well done or could be turned on/off it'd be ok.
You will ofc be able to toggle sound/music on and off.

Yttermayn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 03:38:17 PM »
Should someone want to create some sounds for use in dweller ('cause they really like the game and would like to hear things during play), what guidlines do you have?  What format to submit them in?  What type of actions get sounds?  Is there a list?  Maybe you start off incorporating a few general sounds (like footsteps, doors opening, picking up items, melee attacks, ranged attacks, general spell sounds, etc)?

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 12:25:06 AM »
No, there is no list of sound effects yet. But as you say, it's probably a good idea to begin with footsteps (stone, grass, water), door opening/closing, chest opening/closing, melee attacks, magic attacks, ranged attacks, item pickup, level up jingle (short). Sounds should be delivered in .wav format. Do you have the tools and skills to make sound effects Yttermayn?

Yttermayn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 03:52:55 PM »
I have some modest skills and some decent free tools in making sound fx.  It's enough to get me by in my own indie endeavors.  Primarily, I use samples from project freesound and manipulate them to suit my needs; I have no recording rig.  My other problem is limited time, which equals limited commitment.  As a one man dev, I'm sure you struggle with that also.  Once in a while, I have to take a break from a project, and that's when I would try my hand at making some fx.  What I'm saying is I would like to help, but I am aware that I may not be able to fulfill at a pace that you would like, and with a quality you appreciate.
If you feel it would still be worth a try, where would someone send sound files to?  Maybe others in the community could contribute also?  Then you could pick what you like best?

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 09:41:48 PM »
Yttermayn, you're more than welcome to give it a try. I suggest either a shared Google Drive or Dropbox folder to store the files. Would that work for you?

Yttermayn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 01:08:39 AM »
Sure.  I think I have an unused google drive account somewhere...

Yttermayn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 02:51:52 AM »
One other thing:  preference for bitrate, samplerate, bitdepth, mono/stereo, etc?  Not sure what works best with your engine.  I plan to keep the sounds short and simple, and I would suggest lower quality, mono sounds to conserve memory.

Yttermayn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 05:06:35 AM »
Aaaaand... What other spells are there besides flames, teleport, sleep? Trying to find a one sound fits all.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 11:43:39 PM »
I saw in the chat that you got answers to your spell questions. When it comes to bitrate etc I'm not really qualified to say which is best. I think most Android devices and all desktops should be able to handle almost anything you toss at it. But yeah, lower quality and mono sounds fine!

Yttermayn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 04:45:27 AM »
Ok.  I made a few already, will make more as time allows.  Need to produce a basic set, then I'll drop em in google drive and give you a link.

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 07:31:05 AM »
can't wait for the combat noises.  I guess you have your plate full tho huh Master Bjorn?
When in doubt.  Scroll of Recall

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 12:20:59 AM »
Looking forward to hearing a first set of sounds! It should be relatively quick to add them to the game.