Author Topic: HELP! What's next?  (Read 3121 times)

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
HELP! What's next?
« on: October 30, 2012, 01:39:42 PM »
I'm currently a little bit at a loss when it comes to my next area of focus for Dweller:

BUGS
There are as far as I know no really serious bugs (http://dweller.lighthouseapp.com/projects/88670-dweller/tickets?q=tagged%3A%22bug%22)

FEATURES
There are a lot of features waiting to be implemented but I'm not sure any of it really would make such a great impact in terms of gameplay (http://dweller.lighthouseapp.com/projects/88670-dweller/tickets?q=tagged%3A%22feature%22)

CONTENT
More quests
Character perks
More dungeon branches
More rooms
Difficulty levels

POLISH/AAA
I could also improve things like Intro sequence, Win/Death screens, add sounds and music

PLATFORMS
Windows Phone port
iOS port

So, dear community, I'm asking you what I can do to make the game more enjoyable. Let me hear your opinions!

Mateusz P-G

• Polish Translator
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! What's next?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 04:06:28 PM »
Here's my list.

Highest priority:
- Perks! Character customisation going beyond those few stat points.
- Caverns and other branches, more variety in level design.
- Difficulty settings/levels, ironman mode and alike, unlockables.

Medium priority:
- Proper intro and ending sequence.
- More quests and items.
- Other features.

Lowest priority:
- Bugfixes when regarding current harmless bugs and quirks.
- Rooms, you don't need to bother with that!
;D
If you remember the sprites from my avatar, know that you're awesome!

Sewerdweller

• is always looking for Great Rogue Like Games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 08:03:10 PM »
Rogue /Thief -more payable choices -maybe random and unlockable increased difficulty level.
More "monsters" maybe some you do not see every game.
More random quests.
Random levels -areas that do not occur in every game.
Different outcomes to quests - like you have killed the Goblin kings -portals/return scrolls no longer function -fight your way out level by level. -
or the "Blank" is dead but you are trapped - clear the level of all creatures and the portal/stairs will reopen.
anything that makes each time you start a new game a bit of a surprise.

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 11:58:23 PM »
I'm all about that game delay bug being fixed on android first... oh course I'm a bit biased tho!  other than that the intro/death/win scenes would add a lot for especially the newer players.  It would make the game seem more complete when we all know that games like this rarely ever make it to a point that could be considered complete.
When in doubt.  Scroll of Recall

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 08:01:30 AM »
I'm all about that game delay bug being fixed on android first... oh course I'm a bit biased tho!  other than that the intro/death/win scenes would add a lot for especially the newer players.  It would make the game seem more complete when we all know that games like this rarely ever make it to a point that could be considered complete.
Yes, the performance on Android devices will be addressed.

And I do like the idea of making this into what many would consider a complete game with all the bells and whistles that the average player would expect. Roguelike players are generally very forgiving when it comes to intro, death/win screens and things like that since it's rarely featured in any roguelike game, but the average player is not. Dweller will probably never be a mass market game or a triple-A title, but I can at least make it a bit more accessible to newcomers.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 08:02:37 AM »
Rogue /Thief -more payable choices -maybe random and unlockable increased difficulty level.
More "monsters" maybe some you do not see every game.
More random quests.
Random levels -areas that do not occur in every game.
Different outcomes to quests - like you have killed the Goblin kings -portals/return scrolls no longer function -fight your way out level by level. -
or the "Blank" is dead but you are trapped - clear the level of all creatures and the portal/stairs will reopen.
anything that makes each time you start a new game a bit of a surprise.
I like the whole concept of rare stuff that you do not encounter in every game. I'll try to add more of that. Be it special rooms, rare monsters and items or rare npcs/quest givers.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 08:06:22 AM »
Here's my list.

Highest priority:
- Perks! Character customisation going beyond those few stat points.
- Caverns and other branches, more variety in level design.
- Difficulty settings/levels, ironman mode and alike, unlockables.

Medium priority:
- Proper intro and ending sequence.
- More quests and items.
- Other features.

Lowest priority:
- Bugfixes when regarding current harmless bugs and quirks.
- Rooms, you don't need to bother with that!
;D

I thing Perks would make the character progression less linear, as long as I manage to balance the perks. I'd like to see the player chose perks based not on a "this is always the best perk so I'll pick that one first" mentality but rather "in this game I have a certain set of equipment and stats so I'll pick this perk as it works for my current character build and situation".

Unlockable difficulty levels would make the game last longer for the more experienced players as they can be given new challenges while the game still is easy enough for newbies.

swooboo

• Russian/Hebrew Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 03:50:15 AM »
IMHO (Didn't read other posts)

Most important for you - iOS port. More platform = more popular.
Death screan should totally be improved + highscores. See NetHack, it has very nice death screen.
It is, by far, the most important feature of any roguelike IMO.
More quests is totally good. It was so nice to see the warrior guy deep into the dungeon for the
first time...

-swooboo

P.S. Sounds and music might be nice, but consider making the game more verbose. As usual, see nethack
for reference. ("It falls down through the hole in the floor! You hear a splat.")
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 03:52:14 AM by swooboo »