Author Topic: New Monsters  (Read 3850 times)

Hamish

• View Profile
New Monsters
« on: February 09, 2012, 01:59:44 PM »
Combat is not particularly strategic in Dweller, not something that necessarily needs to change in a light dungeon crawl, but it would be good to offer the player an incentive not to kill monsters by order of proximity. An easy way to present the player with some strategic choices would be to expand the range of monsters and their abilities. The bashing, self healing troll and the multiplying blobs are a nice start, and more creatures with a single unique property would add a simple puzzle like element to clearing dungeons.

Some not particularly original ideas could be:

A thief, that steals a few unequipped items from the player and then scarpers - they could even descend levels of the dungeon if we wanted them to be really annoying. (could be a thieving imp, or ape - the theme doesn’t really matter)

A monster healer, that hangs back and supports the beasties who are up front, doing you damage. (Shaman or witch)

A creature that causes blindness in the player, limiting their vision to the immediately surrounding tiles (A dark spectre perhaps)

A monster that reduces the players XP as well as HP (wraith if you wanted the effect as a melee attack or banshee if you wanted it to be ranged)

A variant on the blobs that are less aggressive but tougher - the AI for these could direct them to block up narrow passages clogging up the players progress.

That’s all I have for the time being, they would help spice things up a bit.

Antros

• View Profile
Re: New Monsters
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 04:23:19 PM »
The only problem I see happening with a healer monster is never being able to get past a group of monsters if you get a particularly bad spawn. I have a very hard time with trolls sometimes and at one point I had 3 trolls and 2 orcs attacking me, that wasn't fun.  Having a monster I cannot target sitting behind a line of his buddies healing could make for a no win situation if you got trapped. Granted that adds a level of difficulty that you might like having a no win situation sucks no matter how hard you like games, IMO. Good ideas though just have to be careful on that one.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 08:53:37 PM »
I will try to review the current monsters in Dweller and most likely remove one or two and add a handful or so. I want most monsters to have something that makes them a unique challenge.

A pick pocketing monster will be a really good addition.

A healer of some kind will be added, but it will be done with care to not make encounters impossible.

X

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 07:29:21 PM »
I will try to review the current monsters in Dweller and most likely remove one or two and add a handful or so. I want most monsters to have something that makes them a unique challenge.

A pick pocketing monster will be a really good addition.

A healer of some kind will be added, but it will be done with care to not make encounters impossible.
I gotta say, the current "pick pocketing" monster (the orc who disarms you) is really annoying. Not because he is difficult, but because everytime you lose your weapon, you need to remember to first pick it up, then re-equip it. You should find a way to make it so that after you kill the orc, your weapon is automatically given back to you and equipped. You should only lose the weapon if you don't kill him.

With that said, I think adding more (and harder) monsters would be a great addition to the game. As was said, you don't need to make too many choices when you are killing the monsters in a room.

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 01:46:26 AM »
Do we currently have any shapeshifting monsters out there?  I dont think i've run into anything but I think that would be a great addition.  Especially if we could eat corpses to gain intrinsics!! :o
When in doubt.  Scroll of Recall

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 08:44:28 AM »
No, no shape shifting monster. Some of you may have noticed that there is shapeshifting in the game, but it is currently limited to a single item.

Sewerdweller

• is always looking for Great Rogue Like Games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 04:41:43 PM »
One monster that would be easy to add as you already have the art work is a "Living Treasure Chest" - when you try to open chest it comes to life (changes to art work with spikes) and start to attack you - high damage, slow movement, very durable so you cannot just kill it while it sleeps. this would really spice up the "treasure room" on level 10 as you could make all of the chest come alive one at a time as the chest next to it "awakens" it neighbors.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 07:43:48 AM »
Hehe, nice idea!

Tomahawk

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 03:12:09 PM »
A monster healer, that hangs back and supports the beasties who are up front, doing you damage. (Shaman or witch)

A monster that reduces the players XP as well as HP (wraith if you wanted the effect as a melee attack or banshee if you wanted it to be ranged)

Um... yeah.  IMO, monsters that reduce XP are one of the most frustrating things ever.  The existence of a "restore" potion/ability only *slightly* mitigates the frustration.

A monster healer/shaman/witch is a good idea, but you could also go one step farther with at "zombie maker" witch/shaman who could create zombies from the blood splotches.  The healer/zombie maker could, of course, be combined into the same "monster."

You could also have monster that explodes on death, injuring the player.  This could be branched out into a variant monster that explodes into a poison cloud on death, causing no damage, but poisoning the player.

Another monster type which could be either "interesting" (in the tactical sense) or extremely frustrating to players (I'm undecided, personally) is the monster that damages player equipment through rust/acid/whatever; think the classic D&D rust monster.  This also has the potential to become extremely frustrating unless there is an accessible way to "repair" the equipment, unless you want to go all hard-core.

Variant monsters with ranged attacks:  goblin archers, skeleton archers, etc.

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 07:43:29 AM »
I could see the healer witch monster being kinda cool... as for the drainage types.... I HATE EM!!! but.... wouldnt be a dungeon romp without that kinda risk.
 :o
When in doubt.  Scroll of Recall

Mateusz P-G

• Polish Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 03:58:09 PM »
Oh, please reinstitute Goblin Scouts, Goblin Archers and Vampire Lords from the oldskool MIDP 1.0 versions!
 ;D

Right now there's no ranged enemies with normal damage, so we need those archers all the more.
If you remember the sprites from my avatar, know that you're awesome!

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 07:24:36 AM »
Mateusz, I believe you are right. I will probably add more goblin sub-types to the game again. This game does after all ask you to kill the Goblin King and it's a bit surprising that there aren't more of his own kind within the dungeons.