Author Topic: Wizard class feedback  (Read 5536 times)

X

• View Profile
Wizard class feedback
« on: February 03, 2012, 06:52:38 PM »
I think we should start getting some class discussion going on in these forums, so I'm going to try to start a thread for each class. If there's a better place to put these, please let me know!

After playing the Wizard for a while, these are some of the things I feel could be changed for the class. All of these are just my opinion, so feel free to disagree (and explain why!). I encourage everyone else to add their Wizard feedback here as well! If people want me too, I can compile a list and add it the main post, if we reach some form of consensus on something.

As a summary, I would say it is a very fun class to play, but a tad too easy.

• This is more of a general "class" suggestion, but I'll put it here. Give me a reason to choose what stats I am leveling. On my most recent Wizard, I leveled only Magic, and I had no issues at all. I rarely had to use a health potion, and usually only when I did something stupid. If I am leveling only Magic, I should be extremely squishy and not be able to take many hits... I should be forced to play strategically, because having an enemy get close to me should be scary as a Wizard with no HP/armor/dodge. A lot of this comes down to how difficult you want the game to be, and I understand the game needs to appeal to a wider audience, but your game style should change, at least a little bit, based on what stats you decide to level.
  • The class can constantly cast spells with no concern for cooldowns or some type of resource management. While cooldowns and resource management aren't always fun, I believe the class would gain a lot by having some type of cost for each time you cast a spell.
  • More spells: Unless I missed something, the class has five spells, two of which are very similar to each other. I think it would be good to have other spells. Some possible spells that I can think of off the top of my head:
    Ice Wall: Creates a wall of ice which blocks off areas for a short time. This would allow for more strategic planning and make up for the supposed "squishiness" of the class.
    Stone: Turns an enemy into a stone block permanently. Maybe make it a moveable stone block to prevent people from blocking themselves in (Then again, if it's a roguelike you could make them live with their decision  :P ). You would get no experience for this "kill," but it could be used as a last ditch effort.
    Fire Sweep: Point blank, AoE spell that damages all enemies in the squares directly surrounding the Wizard.
    Confuse: Confuses an enemy, causing it to do any number of things for a short number of turns. These could range from attacking other enemies, standing still in confusion, or walking aimlessly around while the effect lasts.
    Summon: Summons a random monster to assist you for a while. Maybe this could have a chance of breaking early and getting the monster to start attacking you. This spell would have a random factor so you don't know whether you'd get a rat or a troll to assist you.

Anyways, some of those names are dumb, and I have a few more ideas, but that's the general idea of what I'm getting at!
  • Allow Wizards to swap their spells without using a turn. While the current system works alright in the game now, if you were to take any of my suggestions above, I believe this would need to be implemented. In my opinion, the Wizard should be played strategically (similar to the Ranger, I guess). You need to keep range, and you need to be prepared for whatever you find in the next room. Right now you are penalized for not using the same Fireball spell because it takes an entire turn to swap spells, meaning enemies gain even more distance on you (which as a Wizard, is a bad thing). I don't feel this would lower the difficulty of the class - I feel it would increase the ability to play it strategically.

Those are the main points I have been thinking about while playing through my Wizards. I may add more in the future, but I think those are the basics.

So, what is your Wizard feedback?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 06:55:39 PM by X »

Phyr

• View Profile
Re: Wizard class feedback
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 02:03:31 AM »
Ok the wizard is way too easy. I like the class but as stated you only need to upgrade magic. I never have to use a healing potion. I found every encounter to be easily won. Suggestion: make Book of Charms not work on every creature or have a fail rate of like 50% how or something. Have it not last forever. Also have a time limit on how long it would last. I would charm every creature the email just firebomb them until they died with no retaliation. The trolls couldn't even regen when charmed. I have also just charmed the goblin king to beat him.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 07:49:24 AM »
I agree with what has been written. The wizard is the class with most need for change. Many many versions ago I had an MP stat (mana points) and a cost for spells but I decided to remove it in an attempt to simplify the game mechanics. I think the change went to far and that's why the wizard is in the state it's in right now.

I totally agree that the number of spells need to increase. I'll try to prioritize this.

When it comes to adding cooldowns it would be a completely new game mechanic that requires quite a bit of code. Something that would be easier to add is different cast times on the spells, and in general making spell casting slower. This would add some interesting strategic decisions such as "Should I use powerful but slow spell x against a nearby monster hopefully killing it but if I don't it will have enough time to move into melee range and hit me"

Also, it shouldn't take time to switch spells, at least not the ones in your quickslots.

GnPTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 05:45:50 PM »
Also, it shouldn't take time to switch spells, at least not the ones in your quickslots.
That is very interesting....  Don't know why I never tried that before.
GnPTurtle

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 08:07:16 PM »
Sorry, I meant that I agree that it shouldn't take time to switch spells, but currently it does. I'll change this.

X

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 09:43:33 PM »
Sorry, I meant that I agree that it shouldn't take time to switch spells, but currently it does. I'll change this.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I was thinking I completely missed something and was going to test that out!

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 07:57:52 AM »
I've added a Spells thread in the Ideas section of the forum. Please have a look at the spells and add your own suggestions and comments!

http://forum.dwellergame.com/index.php?topic=33.0

fvanzyl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 09:46:30 AM »
This would add some interesting strategic decisions such as "Should I use powerful but slow spell x against a nearby monster hopefully killing it but if I don't it will have enough time to move into melee range and hit me"

It would be really helpful if there was a resource to explain each spell with BASE damage, effect, duration and cooldown etc.
Can this be included? It will help the strategy a lot if I knew what my spell was doing... Most of the time i just fire blindly until the creature dies or i notice the spell has no effect.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 10:18:02 AM »

Sewerdweller

• is always looking for Great Rogue Like Games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 02:37:26 PM »
i've just finished the game with the new spell books -effects are excellent but the fire sweep book is way to powerful once you get it nothing can stop you, maybe its time to limit the each book(s) to every other turn  forcing you to use wands, melee or run away on the off turn.  i love having the books in the quick slots on screen, it  really lets you mix it up. keep up the good work

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 04:12:11 PM »
I'm again considering to add an energy system to Dweller:

For Wizards this would mean mana that is used when casting and replenished when resting/standing still.

For warriors it would be a rage meter that starts at zero and increases when damage is dealt. Damage dealt increase with the amount of rage.

For hunters it could be some kind of focus that increase ranged damage and accuracy and is decreased when taking damage and when using ranged attacks.

Not sure about all of this as it would make the game more complex. On the other hand a mechanic such as mana would add another tactical layer on to the whole game.

Maybe the wizard could be some kind of blood mage that use HP to cast spells, drawing power from his own vitality.

Sewerdweller

• is always looking for Great Rogue Like Games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 04:58:34 PM »
i think a first hit after rest or other action results in full damage, and any second attach using same weapon, book, does half damage would be a easy way to start & keep it simple for you. this forces the playyer to think first before just attacking again and again - second option is -adding "difficulties" levels
at the start choose between "beginner" and "experienced" and just adding the "rest or switch" damage reduction for the advanced player - otherwise game plays the same -this will encourage us long time players to keep playing but allow beginners to get through without to many consecutive losses. 

GnPTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 05:42:36 PM »
I'm again considering to add an energy system to Dweller:

For Wizards this would mean mana that is used when casting and replenished when resting/standing still.

For warriors it would be a rage meter that starts at zero and increases when damage is dealt. Damage dealt increase with the amount of rage.

For hunters it could be some kind of focus that increase ranged damage and accuracy and is decreased when taking damage and when using ranged attacks.
The game Legends of Yore uses the same system. It works more or less. You pretty Wizards and Hunters start each battle with full meters, but they drain some you can't keep up a long battle. But really, how long is any battle with a Wizard? I took the King down in 3 turns once and trolls didn't last much longer.

My personal input would be to buff the monsters magic-resist or shorten ranges on spells.
GnPTurtle