Author Topic: Warrior class feedback  (Read 3588 times)

X

• View Profile
Warrior class feedback
« on: February 03, 2012, 06:52:32 PM »
I think we should start getting some class discussion going on in these forums, so I'm going to try to start a thread for each class. If there's a better place to put these, please let me know!

I encourage everyone to add their Warrior feedback here! If people want me too, I can compile a list and add it the main post, if we reach some form of consensus on something.

I may add some of my own suggestions/comments on the class when I feel I have played the Warrior enough to add something useful. Right now, my main feeling with the Warrior is that they should get some Warrior-specific spells. Rangers have traps and arrows, Wizards have spells... where are the Warrior abilities? Even if it's as simple as a Shield Bash ability that knocks enemies back, it would make the Warrior feel a lot more unique than he currently feels.

So, what is your Warrior feedback?

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Warrior class feedback
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 08:10:34 AM »
The warrior is probably the class that is the most easily accessible without any ranged abilities or anything like that. I'm not sure I like the idea of adding something similar to spells to the warrior. The warrior can use heavy weapons and armor and that in itself makes him stand out a little bit from the other classes.

I have been toying with the idea of adding a perks/talent system where you at level up can chose a new perk. Some perks could be shared by all three classes, but others could be class specific. My idea was that the perks give passive bonuses or extend upon existing mechanics. The "Lock picking" perk makes it a lot easier to get passed locked doors. The "Pack mule" perk increases your carrying capacity. The "Shield bash" perk could give you a chance to automatically  hit back in melee when attacked and when wielding a shield. That sort of thing.

X

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 03:56:15 PM »
I completely agree that it seems like an easy to pickup, easy to master class. My only concern is that playing the Warrior feels very one-dimensional. You charge into a room and keep walking into monsters - that's your strategy for most of the game. If you had some type of ability list, even if it was an "attack twice!" ability, that would make the fighting seem a bit more interesting. I think you should keep the class easy to pickup and play, since you always need an entry level class for new players to learn the game with, but I don't think adding some additional abilities would make the class significantly more difficult to play.

Alternatively, you could add some type of "anger" mechanic where they do more damage in a fight based on how many times they have been hit. This concept has been used in other games before, but I think it is a nice way to add some flavor to the class. Again, this is a new "mechanic" and would require a bit of work, so it may not be worth it.

With that said, passive perks would work okay as well, especially if it gives the player a choice as to how they are building their character. It will also make the class more entertaining to play.

Sewerdweller

• is always looking for Great Rogue Like Games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 04:04:13 PM »
add a retrievable weapon like throwing axes or throwing daggers that reapear only when monster hit is killed -this gives the warrior a range weapon but still limits it to a fighter. chasing rats around is boring but catching a runaway troll that has 5 of your  daggers stuck in it can add to the fun .

GnPTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 05:50:34 PM »
Maybe a dash or "Charge!" ability? Something to make you move a few spaces forward so you can catch to darned fleeing enemies... Possibly a slam or knockback if the enemy is closer than the dash range
GnPTurtle

Khaelenmore

• The Lord of Avenor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 05:34:09 PM »
I personally am against special attacks and abilities. That's not very interesting, and we've seen them in thousands of other games. There will be some limitation, be it a cooldown or "manabar". Cooldown is not good at all. It's boring, it's limiting and it's illogical. "Manabar"(Stamina, mana, energy - whatever you call it) will make it just another "casting" class. The same again.

Anyway, the decision is yours, but my suggestions for warrior are:
1) Make weapons work differently. Maybe some weapon types could be more effective against some monsters like smashing skeletons with mace or cutting goblins with sword. Or more general like bleeding from cuts, stunning with mace(already there :) ) instant kill with axe. For example in my last game I used two weapons: Sword with draining and Mace with stunning. And used both of them.
2) Add tactical modes - so you could decide how careful your character will behave. I think three will be enough: "Defensive"/"Balanced"/"Aggressive".

It is not necessary to limit them to fighter, as they will be quite useless(or not?) for other classes.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 08:44:43 AM »
my suggestions for warrior are:
1) Make weapons work differently. Maybe some weapon types could be more effective against some monsters like smashing skeletons with mace or cutting goblins with sword. Or more general like bleeding from cuts, stunning with mace(already there :) ) instant kill with axe. For example in my last game I used two weapons: Sword with draining and Mace with stunning. And used both of them.
I have thought of giving certain weapons an area of effect other than a single target. For instance a battle axe could have a slashing area of effect hitting two or three adjacent targets instead of only one. The halberd (and spear if it was added to the game) could hit targets two targets in a straight line. I'm sure it would be possible to come up with more alternatives here.

Khaelenmore

• The Lord of Avenor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 11:22:38 AM »
I have thought of giving certain weapons an area of effect other than a single target. For instance a battle axe could have a slashing area of effect hitting two or three adjacent targets instead of only one. The halberd (and spear if it was added to the game) could hit targets two targets in a straight line. I'm sure it would be possible to come up with more alternatives here.

Great idea. And spear could be also thrown at the enemies. Halberd could give player ability to hit not only adjacent enemies, but also those who are 1 tile away.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 08:06:41 AM »
Yes, I think it would be a nice addition if done right and it would also give the player more choices when it comes to picking what weapon to use. Added this as a ticket to the issue/feature tracker:

http://dweller.lighthouseapp.com/projects/88670-dweller/tickets/94-add-weapons-with-areas-of-effect-other-than-a-single-target