Author Topic: Ranger class feedback  (Read 4707 times)

X

• View Profile
Ranger class feedback
« on: February 03, 2012, 06:52:25 PM »
I think we should start getting some class discussion going on in these forums, so I'm going to try to start a thread for each class. If there's a better place to put these, please let me know!

I encourage everyone to add their Ranger feedback here! If people want me too, I can compile a list and add it the main post, if we reach some form of consensus on something.

These are just a few of the things I feel could be improved about the Ranger. I still need to play it more, but these are my initial impressions.

• Rangers need some type of lockpicking ability. All in all, the game needs some type of inventory system for lockpicks, but it would be cool if the Ranger had their own way to get through doors. It may make them too much like a stereotypical "Thief" archetype, but it would make the class more unique.
  • Rangers should have unique abilities, similar to how Wizards have spells. Make them have cooldown timers of some kind, or add a rechargeable resource system (such as Energy, or Focus, or anything) that can be spent by using these abilities. A couple of ideas that are coming to mind immediately:
    Pinning Arrow: Pins an enemy to the wall, immobilizing them for a small amount of turns. They must be within one square of a wall or other surface to pin them.
    Dodge: Using their immense speed, the Ranger dodges out of the way of harm, moving back 1-3 squares in the direction they choose. This would allow them to play a bit more strategically, while also giving them a chance to get out of trouble.

So, what is your Ranger feedback?

GnPTurtle

• View Profile
Re: Ranger class feedback
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 04:57:15 PM »
Pets. Not neccessarily useful pets. Just a little companion that you could summon up and draw fire.

Guess that would work for a Wizard too (familiars).
GnPTurtle

X

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 05:12:28 PM »
That's an interesting idea. Right now there is the Bag of Monsters item that spawns a charmed monster to follow you around, but in my opinion the pathfinding / AI is horrible, so they never end up being much help...

A more legitimate pet system for rangers would be pretty cool. Maybe you can charm a pet and have it follow you around... even better would be if you could level it up and have it be a permanent addition to your character.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 08:12:58 PM »
I have ranger pets/pet taming on my list of things I'd like to add.

Some additional abilities or special arrows with abilities such as those described is also a good idea.

Currently I think arrows are too rare, and I could either increase frequency of them or add a fletcher NPC to the forest level.

Apokalypsos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 01:34:56 PM »
I just finished the game with the Ranger and I must say that it felt way to easy to get through. Even the trolls where no challenge but only stupid clicking. Over all, I used maybe 10 potions of healing.
I didn't have the "├╝ber" equipment i think, an enhanced crossbow (13 dmg), the rathunter cloak, venomdagger, normal elvenboots, a prismatic band with no extras, stonering, a hardend leather cap and a knightly leather armor. My ranger was lvl 21 after finishing the goblin king.

I havent played the game for quite a bit, last time must have been about v. 0.8x. It was much more harder for me to beat the trolls and vampires (which summoned monsters all the time). I played with warrior and ranger.

So my question is, if the game really became easier? The trolls did very low dmg, vampires didnt summon any monsters this time and even the goblin king was boring.

So what happend to that game?

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 02:15:01 PM »
I find it really interesting to hear such disparate accounts of the difficulty of Dweller. Some players feel the game being way too hard while others say it's too easy. So what about the Ranger then? Why was it too easy? Did you ever get into melee combat or did you always kill stuff before it reached you? Some things that could make stuff harder for the Ranger:

* Reduce damage of ranged weapons
* Reduce speed of ranged weapons
* Reduce the starting speed of the ranger
* Reduce the starting HP
* Reduce the starting defense stat
* Reduce effectiveness more when firing at targets far away
* Add more spellcasting monsters

GnPTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 07:53:02 PM »
I think it was the crossbow that made it easy. The stun effect makes you pretty fearless. When I got mine, I suddenly stopped fearing trolls. I even took 2 on at once. Damage wasn't great, but being able to stun them about every other turn does make them a lot less scary.
GnPTurtle

Apokalypsos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 11:03:38 PM »
That must be it. The xhange of stunning an enemy seems to be quite high, gonna try it without the crossbow.

X

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 04:33:27 PM »
I find it really interesting to hear such disparate accounts of the difficulty of Dweller. Some players feel the game being way too hard while others say it's too easy. So what about the Ranger then? Why was it too easy? Did you ever get into melee combat or did you always kill stuff before it reached you? Some things that could make stuff harder for the Ranger:

* Reduce damage of ranged weapons
* Reduce speed of ranged weapons
* Reduce the starting speed of the ranger
* Reduce the starting HP
* Reduce the starting defense stat
* Reduce effectiveness more when firing at targets far away
* Add more spellcasting monsters
I don't think Rangers should be penalized when firing at targets "far away," but I think if you lowered the HP of the Ranger and reduced his effectiveness in melee combat, the difficult would increase a bit. I also think it would be worth looking into Crossbows. They appear to make the run through a bit too easy when you get one.

GnPTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 03:55:52 AM »
I don't think Rangers should be penalized when firing at targets "far away," but I think if you lowered the HP of the Ranger and reduced his effectiveness in melee combat, the difficult would increase a bit. I also think it would be worth looking into Crossbows. They appear to make the run through a bit too easy when you get one.
I've been thinking about the crossbow and I'm not sure that nerfing it would be a good idea. It would definitely put the Ranger at a disadvantage. At long ranges, the Wizard has no penalties or maximum range. Once the monster gets to melee range, the bows are penalized again (unlike Magic?) and they can't equip strong enough armor or melee weapons to go up against some of the tougher enemies.

Is it possible that instead of a stun, it could be changed to a cripple, making it so monsters can't walk but still attack?  :-\
GnPTurtle

Tomahawk

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 09:22:42 PM »
I just started playing Dweller, after trying to find a good Android Roguelike (after stopping playing Legends of Yore).  I chose the Ranger class and found it to be very frustrating.  I though having ranged combat stand-off capability would be great.  I got through the Dungeon about level 5, and both levels of the Labyrinth.  I finally just let myself die because I just couldn't seem to cause any damage to the monsters (mostly seemed to be doing only a point or two of damage).  I had combat score of over 24, and elven long bow, and regular arrows.  When I finally faced down a sewer troll, I just let myself die:  I couldn't run away fast enough, and I couldn't cause enough damage (he just kept healing himself), and I ran out of resources (healing, etc).

I restarted with a wizard, and have placed every advancement point into magic.  He now plays like I expected the Ranger to.

Taitorin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 11:09:53 AM »
I just completed my first run through, and I had decided to play a ranger. During my run I found that the ranger class seemed to be exceptionally powerful (Possibly because I found a +7 or so to speed ring as my first item in the dungeon). I never really had any troubles with monsters, they usually never got close enough to hit me, and when they did, my speed made them miss for the most part. I didn't even grind for levels or equipments, I just played through and used recall scrolls whenever my inventory got too full (Gold was never even an issue). The only thing I had any trouble with was the Minotaur in the labyrinth, but after I escaped him and went back for a second try, I found an Elven Bow of concussion along the way (has high attack and a stun effect) and at that point the game became mindless killing. All in all, I think the stun effect on ranged weapons may be too overpowered with a higher speed stat letting you attack so many times, giving you a seemingly 100% stun chance. Or, I could have just gotten really lucky this time around. I'm going to start a warrior this time to see how the melee fighting is, since some of those melee weapons sound pretty cool.
EndNote: This game was really entertaining and fun until I found the OP death-bow (referred to above), and I think some character color customization or something might be nice :)

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 12:50:16 PM »
Congrats on the win! That bow is really something extra. Stun has been nerfed in the next version and it should prevent you from being able to completely stun lock your opponents.