Author Topic: Inventory suggestions  (Read 4032 times)

X

• View Profile
Inventory suggestions
« on: February 02, 2012, 04:27:49 PM »
  • Add a method for sorting items, such as by weight, value, and name
  • Add a panel (or modify the current "equipped" panel) that shows what equipment slots your character has. It can be in the form of a list, such as something like this:
    • Head: Empty
    • Right Hand: Dagger
    • Back: Cloak
    • Feet: Empty
    Etc. This would continue for all of the item slots.
    Then, if you click on the item slot, it shows you a list of all the items that can fit in that slot. For example, if you clicked on the "Head" slot in my previous example, it would show all of the items you can equip in that slot.

I feel this would improve upon the current "equipped" screen and give us an easier idea of what equipment our character is lacking.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Inventory suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:20:17 AM »
I agree that the character equipment screen needs to be improved quite a bit. I've added a ticket for this: http://dweller.lighthouseapp.com/projects/88670-dweller/tickets/65-add-a-proper-character-equipment-screen

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 03:17:04 AM »
I think it would be nice to have an equipment upgrade popup that gives you the option to upgrade equipment when you find something more useful.  As of right now we get the popup when we first find something we can use.  I think we should extend this popup event to occur whenever something better is found.
When in doubt.  Scroll of Recall

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:08:35 AM »
How would you define better? Is it when all stats are improved compared to what you have equipped? Or is it when relevant stats are improved? (a wizard cares about items that doesn't reduce magic while a warrior couldn't care less).

X

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 04:57:01 PM »
I would assume he means a better item for your character than what he currently is using. Obviously some items would be good for a Warrior and bad for everyone else, etc, so these comparisons would need to be done based on the class you are using.

It may be nice to have it say that an item is clearly better than the one you are wearing (ie: all the stats are better than what you currently have equipped, or the item has a way higher primary stat, like magic, than your current item), but I'm not sure it's a necessity. It may be "yet another popup" which could annoy the user. I think having an menu selection which contained only items that could be equipped in a given slot would be just as useful (and less intrusive to the user during gameplay).

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 04:01:44 AM »
Hmmmm very good points.  "Better" is very much a subjective term and i apologize for the confusion.  The way I configure my inventory works purely on the overall total of points gained.  If I can replace something that will negate 2 points of my magic ability it would need to give me at least +3 total across the other skills to make sense.  The same works for anything I change in the inventory.  As long as I'm coming out on top in overall skill points I take the new item over the old.  This popup could maybe be configured to only show up when gaining at least a +1 overall to make things simple or we could have a few different levels that can be configured.  If the upgrade feature is set to "conservative" we could make it only appear when points are gained and nothing is lost.  Set it to "aggressive" and it works on my overall point system.  Hope this isnt too complicated. 

Also, playing as mainly a magic user,  once I've gotten to a certain level it doesnt really matter as much what my magic skill point is as much as say my armor and speed values.  This may change as the magic abilities get tweaked but playing as I have been I'm currently on my fourth game completion in a row.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:06:59 AM by ZiZNaK »
When in doubt.  Scroll of Recall

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 10:33:32 AM »
I'll give this some more thought. I want to automate things in Dweller that are considered tedious. Pathfinding being one example, the equip popup being another. It is after all very likely that you want to equip a discovered item if you do not already have an item of that type equipped. When it comes to item upgrades I'm not as sure. If the game provides an algorithm that evaluates an item to be better than an already equipped item isn't that in a sense taking away a challenge and an opportunity to min-max your gear? It would be hard to draw the line and find a good enough algorithm. For instance when it comes to weapons you also need to take into account attack speed modifier and different enchants. I'm not sure it will work out well and I think it will take away a bit of fun for the player.

You could go down the route of the new version of Cardinal Quest where you either equip a found item or sell it, but I don't think it will work well for Dweller. In general I find the idea intriguing and I look forward to testing it when CQII is released.

FaustoMartense

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 04:59:52 AM »

When I am selling things, I would like to be able to pick more than one object from the same category. Lets say I am selling things from All. Most of the first things are weapons, included all my equipment, after scrolling down between a few things I reach the wands, sold one. I need to scroll down again to sell another wand, or get one level up on the menu and search on Magic Items. And then scroll down to the proper wand.

This can be done in two ways, some way to pick multiple different items to sell. Or by programming cursor memory. The second could work in another few things too. Like while using consumables that are not equipped on the quickslot. I open my inventory and the cursor start where I left it. I really do not know what would be easier. :)

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 08:02:43 PM »
I agree that it's annoying to have to scroll down all the time when selling items. I've added this to by todo list: http://dweller.lighthouseapp.com/projects/88670-dweller/tickets/149-remember-position-in-lists-when-selling

Sewerdweller

• is always looking for Great Rogue Like Games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 02:52:11 PM »
i think its time for cursed items - how hard would it be to "hide" the "special" features of all items until they are either worn or viewed by merchant. if this could be done fairly simply it would add to the game - it encourages you to pick up all the daggers and robes in hope of finding the rarer items - cursed items once put on could not be removed, but the healer could remove curse for a large some of money. some cursed items could have large rewards say attacks of 13 on a dagger but also cause user to  be perpetually poisoned (you could see the stats of an item but not if its cursed)  - user may want to live with the cures to get the advantage of high damage.

FaustoMartense

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 01:50:59 AM »
I like the idea of cursed items in games where you cant buy, that way you have to search around for a scroll to uncurse your items, but in Dweller it would only mean a lot of pointless trips to the surface. (lots of Recall scrolls)