Author Topic: What should I focus on next?  (Read 8052 times)

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What should I focus on next?
« on: August 04, 2012, 11:29:12 PM »
Ok, so, I have a pretty long list of small and big things that I could do with Dweller (http://dweller.lighthouseapp.com/projects/88670-dweller/tickets/bins/430709), but I'd like to be sure that I'm focusing on the most important stuff first.

There's a lot on that list, but I'm sure there's other stuff as well, and I'd like to hear you opinion. Here are some of the main areas I could focus on:

* Improve AI. The AI isn't that smart at the moment. It basically has three states: idle, attack, flee. The AI could be made a lot more interesting. Casters should keep their distance. Casters should pick spells to use more wisely. Packs of monsters should really try to surround the player better. Fleeing monsters should not be as easily cornered. Fleeing monsters should sometimes turn and fight, especially if close to other monsters. And so on, and so on....

* Make the rooms even more thematic. The system currently doesn't properly support placement of specific monster and/or items on the rooms you're able to create via the online mapper. It would be great if you could place Dark Wizards in rooms filled with bookshelves, tables and braziers to make such rooms feel more inhabited. Or if you could put gold or other valuables in treasure rooms instead of only putting chests. Or if you could create a Worg kennel room. Or if you could create a room filled withe purple oozes. And so on...

* More quests. Especially quests found in the dungeon. For instance you could come across the bones/ghost of a dead adventurer and you could get a quest to bring the remains to the surface. Or if you could find an imprisoned adventurer and get a quest to find the key to unlock the prison. Or if you could find a necklace that starts a quest. Or any other of the million or so possible quests...

* More dungeon branches. The Caves? The Sewers? The Mines? The Lava Pits? The Underground Lake?

* More spells

* Character perks or skills (as was discussed about warrior and ranger skills elsewhere).

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
Re: What should I focus on next?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 11:49:50 PM »
1. Branches and AI
2. Percs
3. More/New Quests
4. Spells
5. Themes/placement
When in doubt.  Scroll of Recall

Mateusz P-G

• Polish Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 12:36:14 AM »
I'd opt for the very same order as ZiZ. Branches are very
easy to implement and will add a lot of flavour (just don't
forget to remake Cavern tiles using bitmasking, preferably
with some irregular walls). Improved AI would add a lot
to the actuall  gameplay (rather bland right now, we need
more enemies with challenging behaviour and abilities).

Everything else comes after those two.
 ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 12:38:02 AM by Mateusz P-G »
If you remember the sprites from my avatar, know that you're awesome!

jordan.bubus

• French translator !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 11:12:33 AM »
I'm agree with Mateusz and ZiZNaK: add new dungeon branches , improve AI and add perk are priorities. Quests are able to make the game more long if environment is finished. New spells and thematic rooms is, for me, not necessary (for the moment )

Mateusz P-G

• Polish Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 04:25:18 PM »
The Lighthouseapp thing says 1.20.6 is 100% complete. Any chance
of releasing it so we can check this new inventory screen and new
character dump after win plus those small fixes which came with this
version?

;D

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 05:40:53 PM »
This is gonna be a good one yer right... can't wait.  I thought I was the only one that checks the milestone tab in the dev tracker thingy.

gLf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 06:27:52 PM »
Hi Everybody! My suggestions:

1. More dungeons (I can't wait to explore new areas - Mines, Underground lake sound very interesting: what about something like The Enchanted Forest or The Abandoned Village?)
2. Thematic rooms
3. More quests
4. AI
5. More objects

And thanks for this great game!

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 08:12:18 PM »
The Lighthouseapp thing says 1.20.6 is 100% complete. Any chance
of releasing it so we can check this new inventory screen and new
character dump after win plus those small fixes which came with this
version?

;D
It always says 100% :-) I move tasks to the current milestone once they are done. I rarely know from the start what stuff to include in a release. It gets added along the way and based on your feedback and my own playthroughs (I must admit though that I do not play Dweller as much as I should).

Watley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 11:34:15 PM »
My thoughts.
1. Quests
2. Dungeons
3. AI
more quests will add reasons to loiter in dungeon rather than just go for the win. More dungeons, same deal. Thematics is a good idea I think the AI is good, but if it could place monsters contextually it would be fun.

Sewerdweller

• is always looking for Great Rogue Like Games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 03:46:57 PM »
1. New quests
2. dungeons
3. Thematic rooms
4. New Playable characters- something simple as just slight changes from existing to spice thing up- Enchantress same as wizard - Dwarf as as warrior - elf same as ranger -all with different staring stats & equipment then the existing but other wise the same.- these could be random - only one randomly added to choice when you start a new game. if you give the community access to a graphics generator the way you do the mapper  i am sure we will come up with something cool for you.

ZiZNaK

• meh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 05:04:26 PM »
4. New Playable characters- something simple as just slight changes from existing to spice thing up- Enchantress same as wizard - Dwarf as as warrior - elf same as ranger -all with different staring stats & equipment then the existing but other wise the same.- these could be random - only one randomly added to choice when you start a new game. if you give the community access to a graphics generator the way you do the mapper  i am sure we will come up with something cool for you.
Something like this may be cool to have.  Somehow give the player a few more options with character creation in the beginning.  Maybe a few stat tweaks or a specialized race to use.  Although, normally it's better to have your racial choices go across the board.  Dwarf wizards can become some pretty badass fighter-mages.

Dweller admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 07:21:10 PM »
if you give the community access to a graphics generator the way you do the mapper  i am sure we will come up with something cool for you.
The graphics is done by a guy called Oryx (he's done work for several indie games). I haven't asked him for more graphics in a while now since he's a busy guy and he's doing it for free. If anyone else would like to make a stab at new graphics then please go ahead. If it looks good and is of the same quality and style as the original graphics there's no reason it shouldn't be included in future releases. What I personally feel is lacking is more terrain to give the maps more variety (more furniture and other things that make the rooms feel more "realistic" and inhabited). The most recent version of the graphics can be found here: http://files.dwellergame.com/db/ (world.png, monsters.png, items.png)

Sewerdweller

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 09:35:07 PM »
what are the size and resolution limitations - would love to give them a try but do not want to create something that is unusable.

Sewerdweller

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 10:08:48 PM »
ok quick effort just to see if i'm in the right ballpark ELF

Mateusz P-G

• Polish Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 10:45:11 PM »
Can't see a thing, mate.