Author Topic: Item ideas  (Read 13562 times)

CFS

• View Profile
    • Vilseck Translations
Re: Item ideas
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2013, 10:12:30 PM »
Backfire chance could depend on your mana. Sometimes the warrior has none at all.
Behold the Urkraft, behold the sacred force
We strike with the wrath of the rightful
We wield the invincible puritan blade

Jesusgeorg

• Somewhere between Casual and Hardcore gamer. Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2013, 12:05:05 AM »
My nephew's wife just donated in my name, so hopefully I'll be able to request a custom artifact X)

Bochulain's Panacea: Gather 'round ladies and gents, and see the miracle cure that's coveted the world over! If you are sick it makes you well! If you are weak it makes you strong! If you are sad it makes you happy!
This item has 5 charges. One charge is depleted for each use. Can be recharged only by standing on water. If poisoned, cures poison. If slowed, cures slow. If on fire, cures on fire. If disarmed, cures disarmed (no, seriously).

Poison: "Man, this stuff goes right through you!" "You are no longer poisoned"
Slow: "Tastes like Taurine... Bochulain's Panacea gives you wings!" "You no longer feel slowed down"
On Fire: "JUST DUMP IT ON YOUR HEAD! HURRY!" "You are no longer on fire"
Disarmed: "You pour the bottle onto your hand... a Water Hammer?" (This adds the Water Hammer, functionally identical to a basic shortsword, but appearing as a hammer, to your weapon slot).

The idea for this item came for me when I realized that being disarmed is flagged as a status ailment. I thought a potion to cure everything would be interesting if it cured that too.

Regarding the first, it's a pretty obvious crude joke, so I won't spell it out.
Regarding the second, the magic ingredient of the Red Bull energy drink is Taurine. I don't know what the advertisements were in Europe where it was invented, but in the US, it had the slogan "Red Bull gives you wings!" How better to cure that damned slow curse wraiths give you?
Regarding the third, most liquids (with some notable exceptions) can extinguish fires, nothing mystical about that.
Regarding the fourth, the weapon name is a pun. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_hammer

I drew a pixel-art image of it, but I'm not authorized to attach files  :( You guys draw better than I do anyway.

CFS

• View Profile
    • Vilseck Translations
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2014, 02:02:26 PM »
I like that. But instead of the Red Bull function I'd create an extra potion which is called "Red Minotaur" and can be found anywhere just like any other potion. It makes you levitate for a few turns (to cross traps and lava). And it cures slow. Or we establish the "Weak Potion of Swiftness" as a cure for slowing which, unlike the real Potion of Swiftness, does not add to your speed permanently. And yes, at least in Germany, Red Bull gives you wings, too, according to their ads :D

Jesusgeorg

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 02:47:35 AM »
Huh... while I still want my cure-all in the world, the name Red Minotaur is too good to ignore. As a random drop with a rate like that of Potions of Clairvoyance, even if it just cured slow that would make it invaluable. The idea of letting you hop over a lava lake if you can't wear that shield is pretty nice too though. I'm also really glad that it gives you wings the world over :)

Also, WOOHOO DEUTSCHLAND! My mother-in-law is from Reutlingen. I should learn the language some day and visit my family over there. They already speak English and visited me here, so it's only fair I should return the favor.

makiki

• Pro Warngerzard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2014, 10:36:17 PM »
My nephew's wife just donated in my name, so hopefully I'll be able to request a custom artifact X)

Bochulain's Panacea: Gather 'round ladies and gents, and see the miracle cure that's coveted the world over! If you are sick it makes you well! If you are weak it makes you strong! If you are sad it makes you happy!
This item has 5 charges. One charge is depleted for each use. Can be recharged only by standing on water. If poisoned, cures poison. If slowed, cures slow. If on fire, cures on fire. If disarmed, cures disarmed (no, seriously).

Poison: "Man, this stuff goes right through you!" "You are no longer poisoned"
Slow: "Tastes like Taurine... Bochulain's Panacea gives you wings!" "You no longer feel slowed down"
On Fire: "JUST DUMP IT ON YOUR HEAD! HURRY!" "You are no longer on fire"
Disarmed: "You pour the bottle onto your hand... a Water Hammer?" (This adds the Water Hammer, functionally identical to a basic shortsword, but appearing as a hammer, to your weapon slot).

The idea for this item came for me when I realized that being disarmed is flagged as a status ailment. I thought a potion to cure everything would be interesting if it cured that too.

Regarding the first, it's a pretty obvious crude joke, so I won't spell it out.
Regarding the second, the magic ingredient of the Red Bull energy drink is Taurine. I don't know what the advertisements were in Europe where it was invented, but in the US, it had the slogan "Red Bull gives you wings!" How better to cure that damned slow curse wraiths give you?
Regarding the third, most liquids (with some notable exceptions) can extinguish fires, nothing mystical about that.
Regarding the fourth, the weapon name is a pun. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_hammer

I drew a pixel-art image of it, but I'm not authorized to attach files  :( You guys draw better than I do anyway.
GIVE ME THIS HAMMER AND LET ME MAKE WATER HAMMER OF FIRE... err... Whoops, got too excited about the idea. Anyway, this item is easily abusable. You get constantly disarmed by unequipping weapon and creating hammers, which are sellable, because they function same like shortswords. Anyway, being able to cure that @!#& slow is priceless. Good luck trying to make this item into game, coz Bjorn is... Er.. Passively managing the Dweller project.
YOLO! Trying to do low-level challenge.

Jesusgeorg

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 03:03:57 AM »
Well, it would be easy to abuse if you could sell the Water Hammers, but I'd assume they'd be valueless, like Piles of Bones. They *function* like Short Swords, in that they do... what, 6 damage? They're one handed, and they're light weapons so Wizards and Rangers can use them. However, they're not *actually* Short Swords, so you can't sell them, and the Imprisoned Warrior will tell you your hammer sucks and he wants a real weapon.

And yeah, may never see it get into the game after all, and that'd be sad, but I probably owed Bjorn for all the time I've spent on the toilet killing goblins.

makiki

• Pro Warngerzard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 03:02:30 PM »
Well, it would be easy to abuse if you could sell the Water Hammers, but I'd assume they'd be valueless, like Piles of Bones. They *function* like Short Swords, in that they do... what, 6 damage? They're one handed, and they're light weapons so Wizards and Rangers can use them. However, they're not *actually* Short Swords, so you can't sell them, and the Imprisoned Warrior will tell you your hammer sucks and he wants a real weapon.

And yeah, may never see it get into the game after all, and that'd be sad, but I probably owed Bjorn for all the time I've spent on the toilet killing goblins.
Two things:
1.You made my day.
2. Good point. Who anyways wants to buy water hammer? When you can get the super op bootle?

CFS

• View Profile
    • Vilseck Translations
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2014, 08:57:50 PM »
What will the potion do if you are poisoned AND on fire AND disarmed?

makiki

• Pro Warngerzard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2014, 11:00:12 PM »
Well... You would be smashed with explosive saint water hammer, which cures all status aliments, and then the hammer comes back to your hand, although it is not saint anymore..

Jesusgeorg

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2014, 10:37:36 PM »
Well... You would be smashed with explosive saint water hammer, which cures all status aliments, and then the hammer comes back to your hand, although it is not saint anymore..

I really like that idea of a "Holy Water Hammer." Cures the sick, bludgeons the wicked >=)

Don't forget the Slow Curse! You drink the potion, which "goes right through you" curing the poison, makes you so hyper you not only cure your slowness but also... alright, I'll be blunt... you pee straight into the air, it lands on you dousing the fire. You are then so angry about peeing on your own head that you punch the closest monster in a fit of rage.

In game, seriously though,  I figured it'd consume one charge per ailment, curing them in the order that the game checks for them when they affect you, then stopping once all charges are consumed. Since disarmed probably isn't "checked" for, it'd probably be last on the list, and it's just as well since it's the least damaging IMHO.

On a side note, I get a kick out of how the game seems to check whether you're dead before bothering to update the damage listings in the log: "You miss the Goblin. YOU DIED! The Goblin hits you! The goblin does 12 damage! WARNING LOW HITPOINTS! The Goblin hits you! The goblin does 6 damage!"

Sewerdweller

• is always looking for Great Rogue Like Games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2014, 04:31:33 PM »
Interesting idea that is in the new Quest of Dungeons - some of the 'Traps" are actually temporary stat boosts  - ads the  choice, do i disarm this trap in-front of me & risk setting it off and getting hurt or activating it getting a boost, to the game play.

makiki

• Pro Warngerzard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2014, 11:14:18 PM »
Interesting idea that is in the new Quest of Dungeons - some of the 'Traps" are actually temporary stat boosts  - ads the  choice, do i disarm this trap in-front of me & risk setting it off and getting hurt or activating it getting a boost, to the game play.
And now I see buffed dogs and monsters. Buffed GK would be pure horror.

Loengrion

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2014, 03:51:44 PM »
What about good-old mana shield effect?
For ex. a unique artifact robe or mage hat

makiki

• Pro Warngerzard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2014, 05:28:53 PM »
What about good-old mana shield effect?
For ex. a unique artifact robe or mage hat
Well, I think it would be VERY hard to code into the game and quite hard to balance.

Bower

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2014, 05:11:43 PM »
Vitality potion? There's a potion to permanently increase every stat but HP.
Muscle potion - increases carrying capacity by 3-5.

Artifact:
Cupid's Quiver
1 damage, charms enemies.